Pop-up, Sunday only, Vietnamese Brunch [San Jose, East]

This pop-up is located inside of a sandwich shop in East San Jose, brunch service only, Sunday from 10-3.

We thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience and recommend it wholeheartedly. Here are some of our favorites:

This is pan-fried sticky race cake. Tet Festival specialty, very labor intensive and quite delicous.

Duck liver pate, house-made sausage and egg.

Mekong style noodle soup.

In speaking with the proprietors, I learned that their food reflects their Mekong River Delta roots. They acquire local (Bay Area) ingredients and interpret their dishes. I found the whole thing delightful.

9 Likes

Gorgeous photos!

2 Likes

Great find! How did you come across the pop up?

Is it a la carte? I am curious, what may set Mekong food apart from rest of South Vietnam cooking style?

What are those things on top of the noodle? I think that’s a piece of liver, green onion, chives, bean sprouts. What are the rest? What kind of broth was it?

1 Like

I met them at a pop up they were doing at a beer launch event at the former Santa Clara Valley Brewing Company. Their food there was so compelling that I introduced myself and started following them on Instagram, hetsay.cali. This then was the second time I’ve enjoyed their food and when I learned they would have an ongoing, regular, gig on Sundays, I thought I would post here on HO.

It’s definitely ala carte. Not sure I can articulate Mekong v. Southern VN. Going to try to get back this weekend for the Tet celebration, maybe I can learn more about Mekong differentiation.

On top of the soup noodles were definitely a piece of liver, I think beef. Also on top were fried onions, I believe it was chicken broth. Gotta say the sticky rice dish, the Tet dish, is worth the visit all on its own.

3 Likes

From the owner’s Instagram re the sticky rice dish above:

hetsay.cali

Featuring for a limited time, during lunar new year festivities, on our Spring / Winter menu, Bánh Tét Chiên. Typically, the sticky rice cake are eaten fresh, and frying is usually a last ditch effort to make it tasty but imho frying should be the only way to serve it. Growing up it was more common to mush them down like a pancake to have more of the crispy surface from the hot pan. .

Our version is a marriage between eating it fresh and pan frying. Thick slices of our house-made Bánh Tét pan fried on both side til golden brown and crispy, the pork belly melts in your mouth, smooth & creamy mung beans, and banana leaves infused sticky rice holding everything together. .

We serve this cake with a laundry list of traditional Lunar New Year pantry side dishes: Dưa gang | pickled musk melons, pickled dried shrimps & củ kiệu | garlic leeks, our house-made krills chillies sateế, finally on the side we wanted something refreshing to clean the palette of pears and shredded green onions. .

This is a great dish to share amongst friends, trust, it will go quick. Or have it as a light lunch.

3 Likes

Thanks. Let me try to invent a reason to be down there for Sunday lunch.

A thing of beauty!

6 Likes

Got the menu:

3 Likes

Do you happen to know what’s a 18 year old salt cured-lemon? Does it really take that long?

1 Like

Been twice and haven’t tried it, yet. Check out their “liver” cake on IG, fun stuff!

LOL. Hello Matthew.

This Sunday is the last brunch at this location. The owners of the sandwich shop are retiring. Get there if you can!

Dunno if I can make it this Sunday. Will have to follow their IG afterwards to see if they pop up elsewhere.

1 Like