Pop Up at Zetter (London)

Starting 12 November there will be a 5 week pop up of Le Bun. I don’t know who they are, but the Philly in me
likes this part of the menu…

Le Bun Hot Wings and the “Philly Cheesesteak” - a refined plate of
rare rump, baby onion rings, burnt onion ketchup, girolles, Comte crisps and
gravy.

This doesn’t sound like the Philly Cheesesteak of my hometown, but…

Speaking as a Phillyphile, I’m almost certain to check it out but, like you, I’m struggling to relate it to the word “refined”. Where’s the ability to ask for extra grease…?!

Do report back if you get to taste the Cheesesteak. I probably won’t get there, but I’d love to know what they do.

I’ve never had one anywhere in the world that tasted like the real, ‘McCoy.’ I used to get back to Philly quite often, but now it’s been a long time. Are you from that part of the world, Gareth?

Nope. I’m a Brit. And commenting under fraudulent pretenses because, although I’ve had plenty around the states and a few here),I’ve never made the trip to Philadelphia for the real thing.

I was introduced to the Cheesesteak by my American cousin (more like brother, really) who had lived in Philly for a while and was obsessional about it (even down the the permitted time allowed for ordering when you reached the front of the queue…). And there’s also the slightly hubristic enjoyment of knowing that, whilst everyone else in London has been “discovering” dirty burgers, your own guilty pleasure is truly, truly filthy!

I’m so dense at times, Gareth. With a name like yours, I wouldn’t surmise that you’re an American. :slight_smile: For some reason, the cheesesteaks in Phila. are just different than anywhere else. I don’t know if it’s the water for the bread, the cheese they use etc. but there’s nothing quite like that taste although many try to duplicate it.

You owe yourself a trip to Phila. which has a lot of interesting things to visit - great art and a good restaurant scene, unlike how it was when I grew up there in the Stone Age. Geez… I really need to go back!