Playing catch-up again [PJ Ryan's, Somerville MA; Public Kitchen, Wakefield MA; Mighty Squirrel, Waltham MA; Lookout Farm, Natick MA; Lex Farm, Lexington MA; Roger Williams Zoo, PVD]

Playing catch-up again…nothing earth-shattering.

-PJ Ryan’s in Teele Sq, which used to be our local when we lived there, has been knocking it out of the park, at least on our recent visits. One of our most recent visits was with mom and dad and they were both in the mood for beef. The term “Hoovering” is rather unappetizing, but that’s what happened.

-We found ourselves verging on hangry in Reading a few Sundays ago after a bike repair trip to REI. We tried out Public Kitchen. I usually hesitate to try places with catch-phrase/corporate-speak names but we enjoyed our un-authentic short-rib banh mi (a bit on the small side but delicious) and Thanksgiving turkey sandwich (I cannot pass those up). The kitchen was slow and the space was loud but the food came out done with obvious care. We went back with mom and dad and the food again was very good. And because the big accordian-style windows up front were open, it was less loud in the restaurant, which was a concern with mom and dad in tow. The banh mi was much bigger this time, Southwest salad with chicken was huge and had some kick, salad with grilled shrimp was well-done, mom loved her fish tacos, kids’ mac and cheese was really good, and the mussels in curry sauce was so good, we took home the leftover broth. Obvious care in the kitchen. Bonus is that there is awesome Lake Quannapowitt right down the street with a great walking path and playgrounds.

-We visited Mighty Squirrel some time ago after taking 3 kids to see “Apollo 11” at the Waltham Embassy theater. Delicious beers, enough snacks to bolster empty stomachs, board games for kids, pleasant sunny space. It’s a new place on our rotation list.

-Post-Broadmoor Audubon visit (again, seems forever ago), we checked out Lookout Farm Taproom. Unfortunately, there was a private event, so the pleasant-looking outdoor area was closed off. So, there were a lot of people crowded into the small and loud indoor area. Beers were just so-so. B and spring onion enjoyed the spiral-cut hot dogs and pizzas looked fine. I think on another day, we may have had a different opinion of the place. Still, nice to grab a beer after doing our parental duties.

-Farm class at Lex Farm on spring onion’s day off from school was so much fun. The kids planted lots of delicious veggies and if you’ve never been to this farm, the kids’ learning garden far exceeds our sad raised beds at home. But more importantly, spring onion loves to farm and garden. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

-We visited Roger Williams Zoo this past Easter Sunday since we don’t celebrate the holiday. We had a great time and much to our surprise/delight…they have a small beer cart! With good beer! Which went well with good Superpretzels (the same ones at Fenway but I don’t know how the vendors mess up the Fenway ones…they are terrible) and leftover kids’ pizza. Are we lushes?..I don’t care! :wink:

IMG_6249 IMG_6250 IMG_6288

9 Likes

Lyrical post as always, digga. Thanks for that!

2 Likes

@digga, thank you for this and your epic report. Your reports over time have inspired me to explore various tap rooms on our road trips. Living in this region, there is a lot to sample not far from home. Adventures await.

1 Like

Don’t know about “lyrical.” More like “written out of desperation before my feeble mind forgets everything.”

Love y’all.

3 Likes

Great report as always! Love how you guys get around.

2 Likes