[Playa de las Americas, Tenerife] Meson Castellano

An old favourite. Even though in the tourist area, Meson Castellano doesn’t shift much from being a traditional Spanish restaurant. Good ingredients, cooked simply, served by professionals who have no need to become your best mate. Earlier in the evening, you find most customers are North European tourists while, later on, local Spaniards take up the tables.

As with many restaurants, post Covid, they’ve scaled back their once very extensive menu, but there’s still plenty of choice. Bread was good. Thick slices of a crusty loaf.

Garlic mushrooms were pretty much as you’d expect – fried in olive oil flavoured with garlic and parsley. Good job we hadn’t scoffed all the bread as it was handy for mopping up the last of the oil. For a main course, half a leg of suckling lamb, roasted and served on the bone. It comes with nothing more than fried potatoes and onions, finished in the fat of the lamb roasting tin It’s the sort of plate of food that makes me go all Fred Flintstone, wanting to gnaw the bone.

Meanwhile, Wilma had started with a Piquillo pepper stuffed with seafood, served coated in a piquant creamy sauce. This is offered by the piece and the guy said one would be enough. And so it was. Although had it been me, I’d have wanted two. That was followed by grilled salt cod, topped with slices of garlic. It came with grilled tomatoes and a few Canarian potatoes.

We were too full for dessert, so just got coffee and the bill.

9 Likes

Don’t know that I’ve heard of this before; according to Pepin, “When the fish is rehydrated, it will feel soft but never as soft as fresh cod; it has an intense taste that we love.”