Plastic Cutting Boards and Microplastics in your Food

I was referring to Chem’s round end-grain board, which exists, and would be easy to cut from a log.

1 Like

I see boards labeled beech wood a fair bit in my neck of the US, but don’t think I’ve ever seen hornbeam (and/or probably wouldn’t recognize it if I did).

American beech and European beech are not the same ‘tree’ . . . one of the lovelies of “common names”

American beech shrinks/swells more than alternatives - unless kept oiled it can split or de-laminate. it is close grained and cut resistant - plussi and minusi . . .

Ah, I see; thanks. So, now I’m wondering, did settlers from England (etc.) come to US and think, “well, that looks like a beech so let’s call it a beech”? (Edit, see [1])

There’s a narrow horizontal slice of the Midwestern US spanning 4-5 states where green bell peppers were called “mangoes”.

[1] My “TIL” google - apparently there’s up to a baker’s dozen beech-related tree types (not sure why they give the “10-13” range; maybe there’s some argument amongst the eggheads).

• Both of these lovely hardwood, deciduous trees belong to the Fagus subgenera of beech trees. European beech is classified as Fagus sylvatica and American beech is classified as Fagus grandifolia. 10 to 13 beech tree species are split between two distinct subgenera, Fagus and Engleriana”.

in a quiet year, if you can’t find any bigger rabbit hole to go down,
“taxonomy” will keep you busy for a lifetime . . .

and just when you’ve got it down, the eggheads change their minds . . .

2 Likes

Pluto IS a planet, Dangit!

Or maybe a dog…

1 Like

1 Like

Plastic, or tiny bits of cured wood glue. Take your pick, because if you’re not using a plain wide plank of unglued wood, you’re going to get one or the other.

And end-grain boards, otherwise considered to be “premium,” expose more glue lines to your work surface.

4 Likes