Pizza stone or Pizza steel? What is your opinion

Move the dough around on the peel to loosen any sticky spots before adding the toppings.

1 Like

Ok, so this is an old thread. But I have a story to tell about Pizza Stones and I just gotta get it off my chest.

So I was visiting my sister in KC, and her daughter wanted to have us all over for Pizza off their Treager grill. Well, the endless rain of the day moved the party over to my sisterā€™s house. A bit of a background: I am the family ā€˜foodieā€™ for lack of a better word. So I am called upon to cook certain things. I donā€™t mind, I like it. But there have been times when my sisters were very suspicious of my methods. This was one of those days. :grimacing:

So I made dough the day before but it failed to rise/the yeast was dead. I told her to throw it out, and she said ā€œno, weā€™ll just roll it out, it will be okā€ ā€¦

2nd thing: She had a pizza stone. Now, Iā€™ve not ever used one, but I know plenty of people who have one, and they love it and swear by it and think it works pretty good. I have a lot of experience with a wood burning oven, so thatā€™s how Iā€™m used to making pizza. Adjustments have to be made for an oven or outdoor grill, Iā€™m aware of that.

Soooo I throw the stone in the oven, and turn the oven on to 500 degrees. :sunglasses: To, you know, let it pre-heat, the way Iā€™d been told a stone should be used. Well, as the oven was coming up to temp, smoke started rolling out of the oven vent on the stovetop like an industrial era factory.

:fearful: Much anguish and alarm ensued as my sister was pretty sure I was trying to burn her house down and she NEVER NEVER turns her oven up to 500 degrees and NEVER has used the pizza stone at that temperature. I was asking if sheā€™d put oil on it, or what else has she cooked on itā€¦ but what I did NOT know, was that pizza stones are kinda prone to smoking.

I was excused from the kitchen (banished, really) and pizza making continued with flat dough on cookie sheets in a 350 degree oven. :confounded:

Oh Iā€™ll laugh about it someday. But mostly I felt bad for failing the meal so horribly, and a bit pissed at being cast as the house-burner.

My sister threw the pizza stone out the next day. Very angrily.

3 Likes

Itā€™s not you Mal. Lots of people are just not open to new things. I fact, I see a whole bunch of them over on the dock still sure Columbus is going to fall off the edgeā€¦

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Love the story. Iā€™m sure many of us can sympathize with being the family ā€œfoodieā€. My family members use their oven as storage so I have to check every inch to make sure thereā€™s no serving spoon with a plastic handle hiding out in a dark corner. It wasnā€™t pretty when I missed it that one time.

thanks for the empathy, JoeBabbitt and bmorecupcake. Iā€™m still a bit stewed by it all. :smirk:

You knowā€¦ sometime people want to know less. We just have to appreciate not everyone care about foods to the same degree we do. Some people care about smart phone. Others care about shoes. We care about food.

1 Like