Pizza-Pizza-Pizza!!! Monmouth County NJ

The slices there are good but are they still 4.00 for a slice without any meat?

The place has (had it’s probably been 5+ years since I’ve stepped in) a golf themed interior.

Try Luigi’s and see if they can make you my old school favorite. I used to work there when I was a kid. We would make the pies with less cheese and their marinara sauce, and not the pizza sauce. They make their sauce with all fresh ingredients and it is great stuff. I prefer a round pie over a square one. They can probably do it for you but it would be better to order in person with the pie maker over talking to the young girls answering the phone.

I think the sauce makes the pie but dough is important too. They have the dough right…at least back in the day they did. Jay is a cool guy and is passionate about putting out good food. They will deliver to your neighborhood too but I’m just not sure if the girls will get it right if you ask for any special requests.

2 Likes

I’ve stopped at that McDonalds on the way home from concerts in Red Bank. Used to be a similar one at the northern tip of the state in Ringwood. It closed in 2015 according to Yelp.

There’s still a strip mall McDonalds on route 22 in Whitehouse Station.

Maria’s Pizza in Atlantic Highlands, NJ. Originally posted here on my blog.

|587x456

This is not going to be a long one because I usually save pizza and takeout for my “Takeout Joints” column where I combine three or four mini reviews into one. As I started to write this one following some leftovers, I decided that this was good enough to stand on its own. When people tally up the amount of pizzerias in Atlantic Highlands, they usually forget about traveling a little farther down Route 36 toward Highlands and Navesink. Hell, I did not even know this place existed. I drive by almost daily, but never noticed…until we tried a couple of pies with our friends Roy and Joanne when hanging out at their house recently. They had ordered garlic knots, a white pie, a plain, and one with half sausage (sliced paper-thin rather than in clumps) and half pepperoni.

While I did not try the latter, I did manage to eat two slices of the white. I do not usually eat this aside from making it myself at home because I am not a big fan of ricotta on pizza. However, this one may have changed my mind: it was delicious! The crust was a little on the thicker side, had plenty of crunch, a thick layer of mozzarella, and was not too heavy with just enough ricotta. This is easily the best crust I’ve tasted on a pizza in at least year or two. A sturdy slice it was, and I was absolutely stuffed…but kept eating.

A slice of the plain was above average and the garlic knots were excellent. There was so much oil and garlic at the bottom of the tray just waiting to be sopped up. If there were any vampires around, we need not have worried. It is not often that I am impressed by takeout pizza. There are so many places around us, and while many of them are good, most do not stand out enough to get a return visit. It is too far to order from my house, but for when I am working in the Atlantic Highlands/Highlands area, Maria’s will be a must. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

4 Likes

Greg, I really like the latest layout of your blog. So much easier to read.

1 Like

Thank you! Everyone seems to like the new layout better. The other one was a good starter template but after three years, I got antsy and thought it needed a tighter, more professional look. Changed it about two months ago. :smiley:

can anyone recommend a spot for good generic takeout/delivery (not any type of specialty pizza) in the Middletown area near the clown liquor spot or Belford area. I like Zonis but think the crowd I’ll be rolling with likes a more generic slice.

Basilles is my favorite square slice in the area right now. (Not a full Sicilian slice, kind of a hybrid Sicilian/grandma) Their round is good too.

Villa in Stop and Shop plaza across from clown is good.

1 Like

Chuckee cheese…hands down!

Zonis has quite good regular pies.

1 Like

How about brothers? Close to Middletown

I second that. Was just there last week.

Everyone in your group can get their own (very sizable) bar pie. For the price, quality, and feel of the place, can’t go wrong.

I haven’t been in years, since my son played pop warner that used to be a very popular stop for the parents. I think it was their white pie that was exceptional.

The white pie is good. I think vals white could even edge it out though.

How many people will be at this gathering?

The white clam pie at brothers is top notch. Have to eat it there though. Val’s lobster pie really good but something off with their dough…

had a pie on way home from beach last week from Vals. Crust/dough was really nice thin and crisp, cheese was meh. Overall a nice pie. Got takeout, they somehow mistook a half pepperoni pie or half pineapple- that was a great surprise in the car as I grabbed my first slice. Would like to actually try a pepperoni or meatball slice on my next visit it to see if the meat gives it any extra flavor since cheese is a bit bland. I also should note we ate in car on way home so we added no cheese//salt/garlic, etc.

2 Likes

we ended up with Basilles, wanted to try something new- pizza was ok. I think they undercooked it a bit b/c I got there a little early. Would have benefited from a cpl more min in oven. Cheese wasn’t melted fully. Flavor was good though.

You definitely have to eat inside at vals. The take out is a mess. It is kind of in a separate building on the left as you are looking at the entrance on the side street.

I like the sausage pie and the white.

1 Like

Been going to Vals for 20+ years and never get takeout. It’s weird it just doesn’t taste the same at all. On another note they are going to be expanding from what I hear. Enclosing the outdoor seating that is currently in front of the building

Agree on takeout. It’s almost like you are ordering from an entirely different place.