Piquet [London]

We went here last night solely on Jay Rayner’s recommendation in the Observer, where he said it was good French cooking at not too silly prices. And it is, with the additional point that they use lots of seasonal British produce.

I had a salad of heritage beetroot with a goat cheese mousse, sea trout with a variety of delicious sauces to follow and then an amazing Bramley apple sorbet with the best shortbread I have had outside of Scotland. Good range of wines by the glass, excellent service and a wide range of customers, from people who had clearly come from the sales in Oxford Street (Piquet is just off Oxford Street) to families having a celebration.

Been on my list for a bit. What did the French classics look like? Can I get an amazing steak tartare / au poivre / pot-au-feu there?

Hmm. I had a great dinner there a few Saturdays ago - the food was beautiful. Really enjoyed my main of cod cheek casserole with chorizo, and the bramley apple sorbet was fantastic with a gorgeous buttery shortbread.

Unfortunately, we had major issues with the service at the end of the meal. I emailed them and haven’t had a response yet. I’m really disappointed, because the food was wonderful and it ticked all the qualities that I love in a restaurant - bookable, comfortable seats, doesn’t play loud music, has reasonable affordable set menu.

Poor customer service that they’ve not responded to an email sent some weeks back. But then, you’re complaining about poor customer service…Catch 22, innit?