Piglet & Co. [San Francisco, Mission]

Piglet & Co. is a new Taiwanese cuisine influenced restaurant in the Mission. Eater blurb:

It’s kind of hidden right now as the windows are covered with curtains and there’s no sign.

I don’t think they have an alcohol license yet, so only low/no ABV drinks.

I started with the
HONEY WALNUT SHRIMP & PORK TOAST ($20)
ANDERSON SHOKUPAN, PANKO BREADED PORK SHRIMP HASH, BURNT HONEY AIOLI, CANDIED WALNUT RELISH
Which was great! It had a base of shokupan which is a Japanese style milk bread, fluffy and toasted, then a layer of crushed candied walnuts, and a crispy fried panko crusted patty made from ground shrimp and pork. There was a honey mayo sauce on top, which along with the crunchy sweet walnut bits did make the dish a bit reminiscent of honey walnut prawns. Delicious, my favorite dish of my dinner.

and for a main I had the
MALA BBQ PORK RIBS ($23)
MALA MISO GLAZE, KOJI MAYO, RED ONION PICKLE, BUBU ARARE
Very good ribs. Large, meaty, and falling off the bone tender. The “mala miso” glaze was sweet and a bit spicy. I definitely could taste some of the Sichuan pepper in the glaze, which had some of the citrusy herbal fragrance of the pepper and also a little of the numbing effect. Not super spicy. It was topped with some dots of mayo, a little pickled onion, and these little crispy rice balls - the bubu arare which are a type of rice cracker according to Google.

On the side I had the
SMOKED POTATOES ($11)
FRIED EGG AIOLI, FERMENTED RED CABBAGE SALSA, NORI, KARASUMI
Which were good. Tender potatoes. Couldn’t taste much of the smoke. The karasumi, which is a salted mullet roe a bit like bottarga, gave it some extra salty umami-ness.

I ordered too much and took half of the ribs and half of the potatoes home for lunch.

Dessert

13 Likes