Pie baking question

Yesterday I made a new for me recipe, raspberry cream crumble pie. It’s frozen raspberries in the bottom of the pie, then a custard mixture with sour cream plus eggs, etc on top. Then covered with a crumble. I baked it for 70 minutes. The center of the pie sunk. Is this common in fruit pies?

Can you show the recipe?

And a little more detail.

The center sunk but the custard was set?

Is there flour in the custard? Curious if the outsides soufflé -d up and set but the center didn’t set the same way …

Or could the crust have bubbled in the center pushing the custard to the edges and then collapsed when cooling?

Doesn’t sound “typical” for a fruit pie or custard pie to me. IMHO …

1 Like

This is from Food Network.

Filling:
2 eggs, preferably free range and organic
1 1/3 cups full-fat sour cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
Pinch sea salt

Crumble Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter

Pie:
One 9-inch pie pastry or store-bought shell fitted into a pie pan
3 cups fresh or frozen raspberries, preferably organic
Fresh whipped cream, for serving

For the filling:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until light and lemon colored.

Whisk in the sour cream and vanilla, then continue to whisk until smooth and creamy.

Add the sugar, flour and salt and whisk until smooth and thoroughly incorporated.

For the crumble topping:
Add sugar, flour and butter to a large bowl or to the bowl of a stand mixer. Work the butter through using your hands or the mixer until the mixture is a coarse crumble. (If you squeeze a handful it should stick together but break apart easily.)

For the pie:
Fill the pie shell with the raspberries and slowly pour the custard on top.

Spread the crumble over the whole surface.

Bake until edges of the pie start to rise, the crumble topping is golden brown and the middle no longer jiggles when moved, about 1 hour.

Let to cool completely before serving. Serve at room temperature with dollops of fresh whipped cream.

I am going to cut into it tonight, so I don’t know if the custard was set. I did a temperature check, and it was about 207 degrees, so I thought it was done in the middle.

There is a little flour in the custard, but not a lot. I’ll post more when I try it tonight.

I might have separated the eggs and whipped the egg whites and then folded them in…additionally if you wanted to give up a little on the custard texture add some baking powder to the custard mixture…
And were the berries defrosted and dried?

Maybe the fact that the berries were frozen had something to do with it.

1 Like

Maybe too much frozen mass.

2 Likes

I suspect since the raspberries weren’t not defrosted before, when the fruit defrosted in the oven, water came out and could create problem in the pie.

Cut the pie and let us know the custard.

1 Like

I’m guessing the frozen berries were the culprit.

1 Like

I was kind of in a rush, and I agree, it was the frozen raspberries. Also, the custard to fruit ratio was a little off since instead of MEASURING OUT 3 cups of fruit, I simply dumped the whole 12 ounces into the pan. I also used a metal pie pan, and the crust was actually a little too done for my taste.

Next time, I’ll use the glass pie pan, and MEASURE the defrosted fruit!

Luckily, despit all those issues my guests didn’t suspect a thing and everyone enjoyed the pie!

1 Like

Sometimes defrosting and draining the fruit, even measured out, is helpful in reducing excess liquid.

Very true! I was in a rush, and just didn’t really do all the steps correctly. I’m usually a do it by the book the first time, before changing anything in the recipe, just to get a baseline.

The good thing is that means more pie in my future, when I try it out again!

1 Like