Picture this:

There’s a vacant building at the end of your street. The property is becoming run down…

What national (or local) chain would you like to see locate there to re-vitalize the building and the neighborhood?

Chick-Fil-A has been teasing us in Michigan for a few years now. There are a few (three, I think), in the entire state. But none on Detroit’s east side. I WANT ONE HERE!

I’d settle for Popeye’s here in Southern Oregon.

2 Likes

In/out or Popeyes ,

2 Likes

Let’s see . . .Within a 5 minute drive from home we have: Wendy’s, Burger King, McDonalds, Chick-Fil-A, Taco Bell, Chipotle, Panera, Subway, Pizza Hut, Dominos, Popeyes, KFC and countless independent pizza and hoagie places. And I’m sure I’m missing some. And that doesn’t even count the Olive Gardens, Fridays, Applebees, Chilis, etc. Can’t I hope it becomes a little independent French bistro? We don’t have any of those.

3 Likes

Adult beverages? What kind of neighborhood?

1 Like

OPA Greek, Nando’s, Pret a Manger. Or a good local non chain coffee shop that roasts their own beans.

1 Like

Sure!

I think most of us in the U.S. have mega chains within easy reach. I was thinking of those notable, mid-level chains that practice very conservative expansion planning. In my area, the closest Chick-fil-A is about 27 miles away. The closest Sonic is about 11 miles. The closest Hardees is about 13 miles…

1 Like

Agreed. I don’t think we have Sonic or and I know we don’t have Hardees or Carl’s Jr. or In-n-Out. But since I’ve never experienced them, I don’t miss them.

1 Like

If you have a business in mind…

Neighborhood would be residential inside a commercial “border”. Not zoned for something like Red Robin or BW3.

Popeyes did a ground up build a mile away from us in a nearby city (I was excited!). First time there, I did a walk in order, and was shocked that the counter and registers were behind bulletproof glass–and ordering was by microphone. :grimacing:

I haven’t been back.

2 Likes

Shake shack!

1 Like

None. We have tons of local, independent restaurants, coffee shops and a couple of local chains in our neighborhood. I wouldn’t mind an independent gourmet food and gadget shop apart from the local, small olive oil/vinegar shop.

2 Likes

I was going to say no to another chain anything - but playing along I remembered that I’d actually really like a good sized Asian market, something like 99 Ranch which we don’t have on the East Coast. The big Asian supermarkets are in Manhattan and Flushing, so maybe an Astoria outpost of Kam Man or Hong Kong Market or one of the other local ones.

1 Like

Le Pain Quotidien

1 Like

In and Out for sure. If not, maybe a Sur La Table?

1 Like

One point: in and out is open late for drive in. All the ones I know of are open till 1am. So you’d have a big parking lot with 10 to 15 running engines until 1am, right down the block.

Issue: when you hear about something “down the block” I think the OP is asking not just what you’d like to have in walking distance, but also what kinds/sort of traffic you’d be willing to have.

1 Like

I just looked it up- cool concept, Sur La Table.

1 Like

Another vote for Le Pain Quotidien :slight_smile:

1 Like

You may have one nearby. Give it a try. I find it similar to Williams Sonoma, but with a little bit more basic/practical edge to it.