Pickling spice

Good to know

In 5 days, crunchy sours. I need to adjust spices next time but I nailed the amt of vinegar.

1 Like

I get requests for pickled onions from Brits living here in the US. Iā€™m game to make them but malt vinegar is very difficult to find in bulk here.

https://www.amazon.com/Sarsons-Malt-Vinegar-300ml-Pack/dp/B0019NADMC

This is what we buy.

Thanks but I need it by the gallon.

https://www.amazon.com/Malt-Vinegar-128-Ounce-Pack-4/dp/B00469TL1K/ref=pd_vtp_325_4/146-1376044-5822612?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00469TL1K&pd_rd_r=46ff9844-fc39-419b-8e7c-6b49200898e2&pd_rd_w=KzscI&pd_rd_wg=YJsut&pf_rd_p=4c59963f-307a-4d53-b0f5-7922eec09cff&pf_rd_r=F05JA2ME0F8PBTGHCXMS&psc=1&refRID=F05JA2ME0F8PBTGHCXMS

I made Tempura fish so malt vinegar was on my mind.

Did you make fermented pickles with vinegar?

Not sure what you are asking.

The kind of pickles I make are soured by fermenting the cucumbers in a salt brine and donā€™t use any vinegar at all. I wondered whether your method involved both a salt brine AND vinegar.

Ah, ok. I heated up white vinegar, put the spice blend, garlic and red onions in a jar, added the cukes, then the vinegar and chilled it for a few days. Then transferred to a plastic container.

Next time I will add more bay leaves and adjust the spices.

Eta: salt was added to the vinegar.

Got it. I wonder if your need for spice adjustment is due to the pickling spice mix being more for fermented pickles than vinegar pickles.

ā€¦or my lack of experience!

Or just random stuff. I feel like I do the exact same thing every time I make pickles, and sometimes they justā€¦donā€™t work.

1 Like

Vinegar will halt fermentation. We have a guy we buy all or almost all of our spices from. We generally buy pickling spice 10# at a time. Itā€™s pretty good but I find pickling spice is a matter of individual taste preference. I usually add additional bay leaves to the spice we buy.

Thatā€™s why I leave it to the pros. Me, I like a tangy cuke that I can enjoy with a meal easy peasy. Simple, low key just for me and my tribe is what we typically do. This ā€˜pickleā€™ was about the same as when I pickled red onions and we jammed out on batches all summer.