Piccolo Italian Cafe & Cucina [Houston, Texas]

I’ve been passing by Piccolo](http://piccoloitaliancafe.com/) for years and always thought I should stop in. I had looked up other reviews and found them generally very favorable. I had also perused their website online and noticed that they have a very reasonable lunch menu which includes Chicken Picatta, a favorite dish of mine.

Anyway I finally found an opportunity to pop in recently and I’m very glad I did. In conversation with my server, I asked how long they had been there and was told fourteen years. I was surprised because I could have sworn that there was an Italian restaurant there in the mid-80’s when I was dating a girl in the subdivision behind it. He told me that it was the original location of The Lasagna House, (now at Eldridge and Westheimer), and then after that Sylvia’s Enchilada Kitchen, (now on Westheimer near Dairy Ashford). You know how some locations just seem to be “snakebit”? This must be the opposite.

I ordered the piccata and it was excellent. Maybe not the best I’ve ever had, but easily top tier. And probably the least expensive at $9.95. It was preceded by a nice house salad and accompanied by a pile of linguini though I subbed the suga rosa for aglio olio. Some nicely crisped garlic bread showed up as well.

This is a nice little mom and pop restaurant and if the Chicken Piccata is representative, it is also a great place to get good AmerItalian. Give it a try.

I’ll definitely be back.

2 Likes