Pets at Farmers' Markets: Yes or No?

A big NO from me on this topic. One too many Sunday strolls thru local and out of state markets to know dogs who encounter other dogs will/can cause an incident, humans holding poo bags is a visual eck, dogs near misplaced food or scraps will rapidly head towards them and barking barking barking is just a disappointing disrupter.

I own four dogs, two cats, three birds and a pretty large fish tank. Pet lover, rescue dog owner. There are better places for my four legged friends to stroll.

2 Likes

Layla says “Tom is soooft…”.

1 Like

I say Yes to dogs and No to cats.

1 Like

Eh - cats won’t go to the farmers market anyway. Bloomingdales or Saks maybe …

3 Likes

Imagine if the signs weren’t there…

1 Like

Is it a bit of a oxymoron to keep dogs away from a FARMERS’ market?

1 Like

Well, first Farmer’s Market of the season & Tom worked it with me. I swear that dog works a crowd better than any politician. I bet he had his picture taken 25 times. And we sold a lot of product.

1 Like

“In Europe, there are dogs walking into restaurants all the time,” Finn said. “It’s much more relaxed.”

From: Bay Area farmers’ markets have a ruff time keeping dogs out

All the time?! Personally, I have seen only once in Paris.

My colleague and I saw a six year old girl get attacked by a dog at a market. No one knows why; she was just standing next to her father. Poor child needed plastic surgery and more. Often, either a dog’s instability is rare, or the owner(s) is in denial. I had to chase dogs out of freshly-seeded formal herb/vegetable gardens, where they destroyed young seedlings.

As a dog-lover and pragmatist: keep your dogs home or under very tight control.

If any institution allows dogs, pets, the institution is much more liable for any injuries caused by pets, at least in most of the US. I’ve followed as the law suits played out, in the above case. I’ve witnessed four dog attacks from “friendly” dogs. Our business requires dogs remain in customers’ cars, not allowing them on the premises without legitimate, legal need.

2 Likes

Our local farmer’s market has a no dog policy. If they did not we would not go.

1 Like