Pepper jelly 6.0

I probably will later in the summer and will let you know how it turns out. I’ll probably use red jalapeños with another type of red chile perhaps.

1 Like

We make red pepper jam, hot and sweet. We also make pickled pineapple jam from the pineapple stained out of the pineapple-jalapeno shrub. After the pineapple is cooked in the sugar & vinegar it’s really delicious.

4 Likes

Great idea.

The Science of Pectin By Fine Cooking Editors

How and When to use Liquid or Powdered Pectin

Liquid Pectin Vs. Powdered Pectin

Experiment with Specialty Pectins

The Lowdown on Low-Sugar Pectins

Side by Side Comparison of Traditional and Low Sugar Pectin Recipe for Grape Jelly

The Great Pectin Debate - liquid vs. powdered - with Jalapeno Jelly Experiment a

[How to Make Your Own Homemade Pepper Jelly Read more at (https://www.pickyourown.org/pepper_jelly.htm)

Pectin for Making Homemade Jam

Using low sugar pectin

One of this year’s batches. Didn’t set as firm as I’d like, but the flavor and heat is perfect.

I made another batch using this Pomona recipe card, and I may reprocess the first one.

Recipe Card 1.pdf (505.1 KB)

This second batch set up with a few bubbles, probably exacerbated by flipping the bottle to distribute the peppers, and might be a bit too firm. I think I used about 4 tsp of pectin and 6 tsp of calcium water with six cups juice and 2 ( or was it 3?) cups sugar. There was also vinegar, fruit juice, lemon and lime juice and a bit of chopped chili.

3 Likes

Stunning!

Thank you! For posterity, the pepper juice was ripe poblano, “rocotillo” (but sort f hot), and urfa.

1 Like

I must have skipped 2020!

I’m wanting to make test batches first.

Jam? Wow wow wow! Is there anything you don’t do?

1 Like

Ha ha! A long list ; well done steak, for one!

2 Likes

To prepare pepper juice

Has anyone tried shrub jelly? I think I might try starting my jelly juice using shrub instructions.

Also