[Penang] Thai lunch at Mini Siam, Katz Street

Back to 5-month-old ๐— ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ถ ๐—ฆ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐—บ on Katz Street for the second time in three days.

I wanted to suggest to the owners to change the name of their restaurant to ๐—ž๐—ฎ๐˜๐˜‡โ€™๐˜€ ๐——๐—ฒ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฒ๐˜€๐˜€๐—ฒ๐—ป to reflect their location. Meg Ryan faking orgasm a la โ€œWhen Harry Met Sallyโ€ came to mind, except that sheโ€™d be doing it over ๐˜ฑ๐˜ข๐˜ฅ ๐˜›๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ช instead of a ๐˜ฑ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ณ๐˜ข๐˜ฎ๐˜ช sandwich. :joy:

Our lunch consisted of a plethora of Chiang Mai specialties, where the owner and chefs are from:

:small_orange_diamond:๐—ž๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ผ ๐˜€๐—ผ๐—ถ, the popular Northern Thai chicken curry noodles with two types of noodles: a blanched one in the curried gravy, and topped with a crispy one. The use of chicken, instead of Chiang Maiโ€™s meat of choice: pork, indicated the Muslim origins of the dish.
Itโ€™s served with pickled shallots, cucumbers and red chilis, and salted mustard leaves.

:small_orange_diamond:๐—›๐˜‚๐—ป๐—ด ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜† - the slightly sweet and very aromatic pork belly curry, introduced by the Burmese to the Northern Thais.

:small_orange_diamond:An appetiser platter which included ๐—ฆ๐—ฎ๐—ถ ๐˜‚๐—ฎ - spiced pork sausages; ๐—ก๐—ฎ๐—ฒ๐—บ - fermented pork sausages; smoked aubergine; minced pork with tomato, crispy pork rinds, and a selection of fresh vegetables.

:small_orange_diamond:Steamed sticky rice.

:small_orange_diamond: ๐—ฃ๐—ฎ๐—ฑ ๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ถ - the classic Thai fried noodle dish purportedly invented by the-then Siamese Prime Minister, Field Marshal Plaek Pibulsongkram, in the 1940s.

The indispensable set of condiments served with most rice or noodle order. One sees this in practically every Thai eatery in Bangkok or elsewhere in Thailand

:small_orange_diamond:Corn and salted egg salad.

:small_orange_diamond:๐—ง๐—ผ๐—บ ๐—ธ๐—ต๐—ฎ ๐—ธ๐—ฎ๐—ถ - chicken and galangal in coconut milk soup.

:small_orange_diamond:Garlic-fried century eggs with crisp-fried basil leaves.

Desserts:
:small_orange_diamond:๐—ž๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—บ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ธ๐—ผ - coconut cream-jelly with corn.

:small_orange_diamond:Coconut jelly, served inside a fresh, whole young coconut.

:small_orange_diamond:Selection of Thai iced teas.

Itโ€™s very popular at the moment - Penangites always flocked to newly-opened eating places. The kitchen seemed to be holding up very well for now, despite the madding crowd. Booking is essential.

Address
Mini Siam Thai Restaurant (First Floor) at 7 Siam Mini Market
85, Katz Street, 10300 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
Tel: +6011-7225 8207
Opening hours: 11am-3pm & 5pm-10pm

15 Likes

I think I would start with the century eggs! I like Hung Lay but the eggs look marvelous. I have tried Khao Soi with chicken and it is good, just not as good as the pork version. Khao Soi is a dish that is good at a lot of places outside of Thailand but only great in a few, and most of those are in Chiang Mai.
Khun Yai in Chiang Mai is still my favorite but it is so crowded sometimes I just go down the street to Khum Hom Cafe and eat with the fish. I wonder what the waitress would say if I asked for Khao Soi Koi? I am sure they have heard that comment a time or two.

2 Likes

:joy:

Thais can be quite traditionalists when it comes to food!

1 Like

That is a good thing!
It is getting a bit chilly here in NW Montana, so I am off to Florida and the Caribbean to warm back up. There is an Asian restaurant on the ship I am taking for part of the trip. I will post pictures of their best efforts on CH.

5 Likes

Positively stunning food! Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes