[Penang] Shredded chicken and noodles from Ah Huat Kai Si Hor Fun

Jethro Lee is a Penang-born, long-time Ipoh resident who learnt to cook Ipoh-style “kai si hor fun” (shredded chicken & flat rice noodles in soup) during his 15 years of working in the United States & Europe as a corporate executive for a leather company, to satisfy his longing for food from home.

Jethro perfected his labour-intensive recipe and came up with one of the tastiest “kai si hor fun” one can ever find in Penang, and as good as those in top Ipoh places.

Jethro uses “chiam kak hae” (“sharp-shelled prawns”) which he first par-boils to get rid of the smell. He then deep-fried those par-boiled prawns (in fresh oil each time) till fragrant, before boiling the fried prawns again. He’d blend those prawns whole – “to get the sweetness from the prawn flesh”, said Jethro. This was the prawn broth prepared by Jethro.

As for the chicken broth, Jethro boiled chicken parts for up to 4 hours, to extract the sweetness from the chicken.

Jethro would then blend the prawn broth and chicken broth together, then boil the combined broths briskly to form the base for his flavoursome “kai see hor fun” soup.

Jethro garnished his “kai see hor fun” - flat rice noodles with freshly-cooked chicken dark meat, de-shelled prawns and fresh, green chives. It’s the most flavorsome bowl of noodles one can ever desire.

We also ordered additional poached chicken and beansprouts on the side – all bathed in a tasty soy sauce-chicken broth dressing, topped with golden-fried garlic crumbs & sprigs of fresh Chinese parsley.

Jethro also offers his own take on “lam mee” nowadays – the accompanying “sambal belacan” gave the noodles a spicy lift. Must-not-miss.

“Lam mee” is, of course, a blend of yellow Hokkien wheat noodles and thin rice noodles (“bee hoon”).

Jethro Lee’s 𝗔𝗵 𝗛𝘂𝗮𝘁 𝗞𝗮𝗶 𝗦𝗶 𝗛𝗼𝗿 𝗙𝘂𝗻 is located at Lavender Food Complex on Lintang Sungai Ara 9, Sungai Ara, 11900 Bayan Lepas, Penang. Opening hours: 10am to 8pm, Wed to Sun. Closed on Mondays & Tuesdays.

13 Likes

Wow! That’s a lot of behind-the-scenes-detail!

1 Like

That first photo has me positively salivating…especially as I eat my sad lunch in front of my computer, taking a lunch break.

2 Likes

Join the club!

2 Likes

it looks healthy meal, curious to know the hidden ingredients.

1 Like

@digga @TheLibrarian28 Come visit Penang when you can. We’ll have chowdowns every day. :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks - sounds good to me!

1 Like