[Penang] Modern-Penang cuisine at Morpheus

Dinner this evening at the latest modern-Penang eatery in town - the 5-week-old π— π—Όπ—Ώπ—½π—΅π—²π˜‚π˜€ on 26 Abu Siti Lane.

Fronted by fresh-faced Penang-born, π˜“π˜¦ 𝘊𝘰𝘳π˜₯𝘰𝘯 π˜‰π˜­π˜¦π˜Ά π˜—π˜’π˜³π˜ͺ𝘴 alumnus, Andy Lai, who honed his skills at Alain Ducasse’s HΓ΄tel Plaza AthΓ©nΓ©e, before returning to his hometown.

Marvelous dinner this evening, with simple, no-nonsense cooking that showcased well-balanced flavours and perfect textures. We started off with some very good bread, served with French butter & sea salt flakes.

House red - San Telmo Cabernet Sauvignon.

Appetisers
:small_orange_diamond:π™Šπ™˜π™©π™€π™₯π™ͺ𝙨, π™₯𝙖𝙩𝙖𝙩𝙖 𝙗𝙧𝙖𝙫𝙖𝙨, π˜Ύπ™π™žπ™’π™’π™žπ™˜π™π™ͺπ™§π™ž - pan-seared Spanish octopus tentacle, fried potatoes with paprika, house Chimmichuri sauce (chopped parsley, cilantro, garlic, olive oil, and spices).

:small_orange_diamond:π˜Ύπ™π™–π™§π™§π™šπ™™ π˜Ύπ™–π™šπ™¨π™–π™§ 𝙨𝙖𝙑𝙖𝙙 - Romaine lettuce, crispy chorizo, quail’s egg, Caesar dressing, shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano.

:small_orange_diamond:π™π™€π™žπ™š π™œπ™§π™–π™¨, π™ͺ𝙑𝙖𝙒 𝙨𝙖𝙑𝙖𝙙 - RougiΓ© foie gras with aromatic leaves & ulam sauce. Superb - I’d come back here just for this.

Mains
:small_orange_diamond:𝙋𝙀𝙧𝙠-π™§π™žπ™—π™¨ π™¬π™žπ™©π™ π™˜π™€π™§π™£ - Iberico pork-ribs, house Balinese sauce, and seared corn ribs.

:small_orange_diamond:π™π™žπ™¨π™€π™©π™©π™€ π™¬π™žπ™©π™ π™¨π™šπ™–π™§π™šπ™™ π™¨π™˜π™–π™‘π™‘π™€π™₯𝙨 & 𝙩𝙧π™ͺπ™›π™›π™‘π™š π™€π™žπ™‘. Simple, straightforward, and he really got it 100% right in terms of flavours and textures.

Desserts
:small_orange_diamond:π˜Ύπ™π™€π™˜π™€π™‘π™–π™©π™š π™₯π™šπ™–π™£π™ͺ𝙩 𝙗π™ͺπ™©π™©π™šπ™§ 𝙒𝙀π™ͺπ™¨π™¨π™š - dacquoise with crushed peanuts.

:small_orange_diamond:π™π™žπ™§π™–π™’π™žπ™¨π™ͺ - best I’d tasted!

One of the most satisfactory meals I’d had in recent memory. The newest kid on the block shows some real talent here.

Address
Morpheus
26, Lorong Abu Siti, George Town, Malaysia
Tel: +6012-273 9743
Opening hours: 5pm to 11pm, Tue to Sun. Closed on Mondays.

11 Likes

I always order tiramisu in a new place if it’s on the menu. It’s my quest for the β€œbest ever” - currently held by a place near home, with second place held by a restaurant in Burlington, Vermont.

1 Like

Always good to have a favourite nearby.

My favourite food item in the whole wide world is a curry noodle dish back in Singapore, 700 km from where I am in Penang! Anyway, I’m off to Singapore in less than a couple of weeks’ time.

4 Likes

Great, looking forward to reading about your good eats. We’re back to Singapore in October, until then, will vicariously taste through your toothsome reports. :tongue:

2 Likes

We’re minimalists, so we could latch onto the risotto and call it a meal worth seeking again.

1 Like

So cool.
I’m actually back in Singapore to attend a May 10 event organized by a Peranakan theatre group. I’d had quite a few collaborations with a few of the personalities up there for our Peranakan/Baba-Nyonya events, including public talks, performances, etc. in the past few years.

I’ll be having quite a few meals with the friends and family members during this stay. I was going to stay longer, but had to fly back to Penang to attend the re-launch of Miraku, Penang’s top Japanese restaurant, on May 23 after an extensive makeover which took over a year.

5 Likes

That was a really tasty plate of risotto - I wouldn’t mind going back there just for it!

1 Like