[Penang, Malaysia] Yum cha at ๐—•๐—ฎ๐—ผ ๐—ง๐—ฒ๐—ฐ๐—ธ ๐—ง๐—ฒ๐—ฎ ๐—›๐—ผ๐˜‚๐˜€๐—ฒ

For the past one year since it opened back in Sep 2020, and despite the on-again-off-again COVID lockdowns subsequently, Bao Teck Tea House has managed to remain one of the hottest spots in Penang for yum cha, especially among the โ€˜ladies who lunchโ€™ crowd.

Weโ€™d never bothered to try this place, as (1) it required at least a few daysโ€™ advance booking, just to imbibe some Chinese tea and pick at its selection of dim sum which one can get almost anywhere in town; and (2) there are dozens of dim sum spots one can go to in George Town, without stressing oneself out in trying to snare a hard-to-get table in this place.

Anyhoo, a foodie friend did decide to make an advance booking one week ahead for a lunch spot here yesterday! So here we are.

First the tea: a special blend of Tieguanyin, one of the most expensive in the world. There are several different grades for this tea, and the highest one fetch upwards of US$3,000 per kg.
Ours was only MYR38 (US$9) for a pot. :joy:

Our lunch spread:

๐—ฆ๐—ถ๐—ฒ๐˜„ ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐—ถ - steamed pork-and-shrimp dumplings

๐—Ÿ๐—ผ ๐—ฝ๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐—ธ๐—ผ๐˜‚ - pan-fried radish cakes

๐—ฆ๐˜‚๐—ถ ๐—ธ๐—ฎ๐—ผ - large pork-shrimp dumplings in soup - this was a deluxe version, as copious amounts of fish maw was also included in the consommรฉ , perhaps to justify its price tag.

Deep-fried pork balls filled with salted duckโ€™s egg - this is an old favourite at wedding dinners in Malaysia and Singapore back in the 1950s-70s, a retro dish which Iโ€™d almost forgotten about, but somehow resurrected here.

Steamed scallop dumplings - these are very delicate & juicy, and came in their own individual serving spoons.

Hanging pork-ball skewers - these were skewers of minced pork-balls slathered with a unctuous brown sauce (which didnโ€™t really taste of anything) then covered with bonito shavings, and served suspended - more for the theatrics than anything. I didnโ€™t quite like this blandish dish. A pity, since I love pork, and especially pork meatballs.

Steamed buns filled with grated coconut

Cantonese egg tarts - my fave item at this lunch, actually: buttery-flaky pastry shells, and wobbly eggy filling.

I felt the dim sum didnโ€™t taste any better than those one can find elsewhere in George Town. In fact, some didnโ€™t quite make the grade, as far as Iโ€™m concerned. But the service here was exemplary, though the dรฉcor seemed, to me, quite kitsch and over-the-top.

Address
Bao Teck Tea House (ๅŒ…ๅพท้คจ)
25, Lebuh Melayu (Malay Street), 10100 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
Tel: +60 4-263 1100
Opening hours: 8am-8 pm daily, except Wed (closed).

10 Likes

Although weโ€™ve never met @klyeoh, you donโ€™t strike me as a โ€œladies who lunchโ€ type. But maybe now you do! :laughing:

The deco does seduce, no idea of the price, but if the dim sum are no better than other places, this will be a one timer place.

Which style of tieguanyin you had? The fresh vegetal one or the fermented nutty one?

Deep-fried pork balls filled with salted duckโ€™s egg
Put another way, a โ€œScotch Eggโ€.

2 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

We were two of about 3 men in there during that dayโ€™s lunch service, in a booked-out restaurant full of ladies!

2 Likes

Now that you mentioned it - yes!!

1 Like

Youโ€™re spot on - the prices there were 2 or 3 times what one pays in other dim sum spots around town! Only one other dim sum spot was more expensive - Iโ€™d not been to that one.

The fresh one, I presume, since the taste/flavour was gentler than I expected.

1 Like

Long jing is my favorite tea. Lightly fermented floral tieguanyin is my neighbourโ€™s favourite breakfast tea, she is about to run out of the stock I brought her in 2019 from my Asia tripโ€ฆ asked me to help her find it.

1 Like

i completely disagreed with the statement saying that the dim sumโ€™s taste is not any better than those can find elsewhere in Georgetown โ€ฆ this is one of the freshest ingredients that we can found especially those with prawn โ€ฆ it is totally worthwhile for the prices that we are paying for.