[Penang, Malaysia] Tex-Mex Sunday lunch at ๐—ช๐—ถ๐—น๐—ฑ ๐—–๐—ต๐—ถ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ฒ๐˜€, Chulia Street

We decided on Tex-Mex for Sunday lunch last weekend, and settled on Wild Chilies on Chulia Street, which was highly-recommended by some friends. To be honest, trying to find authentic Tex-Mex in Penang is probably next to impossible, though the folks at Wild Chilies put up an admirable effort.

We started off with some cocktails, including the Mexican Sunset - peaches, Amaretto, tequila and pineapple juice:

1. Chicken quesadilla, with guacamole, Pico de Gallo & sour cream - I was pleasantly surprised by how light the chef managed to make this dish, and how delicate the chicken filling tasted. None of those strong, overly-spicy, in-your-face Indianized Mexican dishes one usually finds in this part of the world.
    The guacamole was freshly-prepared, ethereally-light & with a remarkable restraint in the use of citrus juice, as if the ghost of a lime had just glided through, living behind the wispiest hint of its scent and flavor.

1. Chicken cheese nachos with guacamole, Pico de Gallo & sour cream - this turned out to be my fave dish here: the lightest, crispiest nachos Iโ€™d had in town. The toppings were also not too โ€œassertiveโ€, as was the case in many other places. I personally prefer gentler, mellower pickles which had been allowed to mature a bit, like the ones here, than the sharp, vinegary sort.

1. Beef tacos - The cubed chunks of beef (pan-fried) were tougher than Iโ€™d have liked, but the fresh lettuce & Pico de Gallo lent a nice crunch to each bite, whilst the sour cream & spiced-up cheese dressing on top gave a pleasant rich, creamy flavor to the whole ensemble.
    I really liked the fresh tortillas used here.

1. Coconut shrimps with arroz verde (Mexican green rice), vegetables and homemade chili sauce - crisp-fried, battered crunchy-fresh prawns. Iโ€™m hard-pressed to find the Mexican element in that, but it tasted great. The chili sauce tasted more โ€œThaiโ€ than Mexican - spicy, but a bit sweeter than one would find in a Mexican or Tex-Mex rendition.

Dessert: I was dreaming of having Mexican churros to dip into hot chocolate here. Sadly, Wild Chilies do not have a pastry chef capable of making Mexican desserts, so the only 3 options were brownie, cheesecake or โ€ฆ banana split (seriously??).

So, I just traipsed round the corner, bought some โ€œChinese churrosโ€, or, more accurately, โ€œyau char kway"(ๆฒน็‚ธ็ฒฟ)โ€ to dip into my hot chocolate.
To his credit, the waiter didnโ€™t even raise an eyebrow when he saw this:

Definitely going back for the nachos. Probably give the other menu options (fajitas, etc.) a try. Itโ€™s still a far cry from my fave Mexican spot in Malaysia: Kuala Lumpurโ€™s Fresca Mexican Kitchen & Bar, or Singaporeโ€™s Casa Latina or Margaritaโ€™s.

Address
Wild Chilies Restaurant
273A, Ground Floor, Chulia St, 10200 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
Tel: +60 19-808 6894
Opening hours: 10.30am to 9.30pm daily

6 Likes

Reading this review put a big smile on my face to start the day. :grin:

1 Like

Have a great day ahead, @digga :grin: :ok_hand:

1 Like

Looks like fun. Is Mexican/Tex-Mex food popular in Penang?

Itโ€™s pretty popular, but the problem is that the Tex-Mex/Mexican foods we get here are hardly authentic, with a lot of โ€œlocalizationโ€ in terms of spicing and flavoring.

Penang doesnโ€™t have any Mexican community - even cosmopolitan Singapore doesnโ€™t have a sizable Mexican presence, so we hardly have any โ€œnativeโ€ customers in this region whoโ€™d demand authenticity.

Thanks!

1 Like

Love your dessert!! :rofl:

:joy::joy::joy: