[Penang, Malaysia] Penang-Nyonya cuisine at ๐—›๐—ฎ๐—ถ ๐—ก๐—ฎ๐—ป ๐—ง๐—ผ๐˜„๐—ป, Weld Quay

Hai Nan Town is Hainanese restaurateur, Bok Jee Seemโ€™s flagship eatery. The Hainanese, above all other ethnic Chinese communities, have a much-vaunted reputation for culinary excellence since the late-19th century in Malaysia and Singapore, and itโ€™s no different here in Penang.

Back in the post-war years, Bok Jee Seemโ€™s father, Bok Pin Kee, was one of the chefs in Penangโ€™s legendary Loke Thye Kee, the iconic dining destination by the Loy brothers, Kok Boon & Kok Dai, which dated back to 1919.

Bok Jee Seemโ€™s grandfather had also owned a traditional Hainanese coffeeshop on Prangin Road. For over a century, from the late-19th century to almost the entire 20th-century, Hainanese chefs ruled the kitchens of most restaurants & cafes in British Malaya: in the grand hotels, palatial mansions of the British colonial masters and wealthy Baba-Nyonya families, royal palaces of the local sultans. They cook for mess halls in army bases, hospitals, buffet coaches on board trains or galley kitchens on warships - in fact, anywhere where there was a kitchen or where a chef or cook was required.

Aristocratic Baba-Nyonya households were often ruled over by old matriarchs who insisted on proper and precise preparations of the complex, labor-intensive Nyonya dishes for elaborate dinner parties which theyโ€™d often throw. And perhaps the only people the fussiest Nyonya matriarch would trust, besides herself (and her oft-intimidated younger Nyonya/family members who were often pressed into a lifetime of servitude in the household kitchens), would be the Hainanese master chefs. For the Hainanese, above everyone else, were renowned for their cooking excellence, and their renditions of Nyonya food were often so good, Hainanese caterers were always entrusted in preparing large wedding or any celebratory banquets for the Baba-Nyonya high society.

Today, Bok Jee Seem and his wife, April Yeoh, run Hai Nan Town, offering traditional Penang-Nyonya dishes.

We last lunched here just before the current phase of COVID lockdown in Penang that began on May 12. Our lunch:

1. Jiu hu char - stewed, shredded jicama/yam bean, dried cuttlefish, carrots, shallots and, a unique Hai Nan Town addition: fresh coriander prigs. The dish was served with Chinese lettuce wraps. The jiu hu char here was gluggier, and a shade darker (use of thick soy sauce) than the ones served in other Nyonya restaurants around town.

2. Lor bak - Hai Nan Town is a non-pork eatery, to appeal to the Muslim market, so its lor bak (yuba-wrapped meat rolls) were made using chicken meat instead of pork. Quite tasty all the same, though pork-lovers can detect the lack of porky richness and sweetness.

3. Gulai tumis garoupa - pretty good version here, with a good a balance of chili-spiciness, fresh herbs and spices used (lemongrass, galangal, fresh turmeric) given a spike of sour flavors with the addition of tamarind juice. The fish was fresh, and well complemented by okra & tomatoes. The dish was generously garnished with mint leaves, finely-chopped torch ginger flower, and, rather oddly, raw onion rings.

4. Inche kabin - fresh, spice-marinated chicken pieces. This is a Penang-Nyonya classic, where chicken pieces were marinated, often overnight, in a spice mix and coconut crรจme. The chicken would be deep-fried upon order, and served hot - crisp on the outside, deliciously moist on the inside.
    Inche kabin chicken pieces would usually be garnished with crisp prawn crackers, and served with a Worcestershire-freshly-cut birds eye chili dip.

5. Asam prawns - fresh shell-on prawns, marinated in tamarind paste, then stir-fried. The ones here were delicious -with a piquant sourness from the tamarind marinade.

6. Dessert: Bubur cha cha - the creamy, coconut-rich sweet dessert soup, with boiled taro, pumpkin, cassava and colorful blue, purple and red-tinted tapioca flour strips known as โ€œcha chaโ€ in Malaccaโ€™s ancient Portuguese-Creole Cristรฃo language.

Hai Nan Town does a competent interpretation of Penang-Nyonya cuisine. Not my favorite spot for this cuisine, my personal faves are Ceki and Winnโ€™s Cafe, but a good alternative, nonetheless.

Address
Hai Nan Town Restaurant
8A, Pengkalan Weld, Tanjung City Marina, 10300 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
Tel: 604-263 8633
Opening hours: 11.30am to 10pm Tue to Sun. Closed on Mondays.

8 Likes

Under the current phase of Malaysiaโ€™s COVID lockdown, Penang has disallowed dining-in at restaurants since May 12 - about 8 weeks now.

Lunch for us yesterday was a take-out order from Hai Nan Town:

We ordered choon phneah, the largish spring roll which had a filling of shredded jicama, chicken, carrot and crabmeat.

Nasi ulam, with asam/tamarind fish and salted duckโ€™s egg. Nasi ulam is a herbal rice salad, served at room temperature. It consisted of very finely-chopped selection of aromatic herbs like mint leaves, wild betel leaves, Thai basil leaves, kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, fresh turmeric root and raw shallots. Dried shrimp and toasted coconut shreds are added to the mix. Itโ€™s usually served with spicy sambal belacan on the side.

The nasi ulam take-out set we ordered came with a fried tamarind-marinated mackerel, half a hard-boiled salted duckโ€™s egg, raw winged beans, and some fish crackers. Tasty - one of the better ones around town.

The other lunch set we ordered was richer and tastier: steamed white rice with sides of spicy chicken curry Kapitan, jiu hu char (shredded jicama & cuttlefish), and lor bak (deep-fried 5-spiced pork rolls).

Desserts were bubur cha cha:
DSC09154

And sago Gula Melaka pudding, with coconut crรจme and palm sugar syrup sauce.

5 Likes

Lunch today were take-outs from Hainan Town - some of the prettiest roti jala (lacy egg crepes) Iโ€™d ever seen, all made using natural food colors: pandan leaves (green), beetroot (red), turmeric (yellow), and bunga telang (blue).

The roti jala was served with Hainanese chicken curry, which has a slightly different taste profile from Nyonya chicken curry.

We also ordered the crisp, golden-fried spring rolls, which were terrific.

7 Likes

Fun meal! The spring rolls were fat, looks good. At least your quarantine is not boring.

2 Likes

Honestly, the quarantine is driving us nuts! This lockdown seems interminable.
Letโ€™s all look forward to a return to normality soon. Stay safe, @naf !

2 Likes

Iโ€™ve heard the Malaysien government is not particularly stable due to the recent outbreak.

At least, youโ€™re still trying to stay sane with food. For me the confinement was a big challenge for personal relationships, food wise I was more adventurous in cooking new stuff . :laughing: Stay safe!!

4 Likes

@naf Yes, it was pretty horrendous on the political front. All the bickering has also affected the governmentโ€™s response in handling the pandemic. Weโ€™re keeping our fingers crossed here.

3 Likes

Hainan Town has moved from its long-time Weld Quay location to this new location on Sep 5 2021:

48-50 Kajang Road, George Town, 10150 Penang, Malaysia
Tel: +6012 428 3423 (Bok Jee Seem), +6016 471 2662, +6012 429 7933
Opening hours: 11am to 8pm daily

1 Like

I must have missed this first (and second) time around. Fab looking food, again - the roti jala are such fun.

2 Likes

Oh yes, they were soft, eggy crepes. Traditionally yellow-hued from the addition of saffron or turmeric into the batter before cooking, Hainan Town brought it to another level with its multi-colored options.

1 Like

Lunch take-outs from Hainan Town again today.

For the soup/starter, I cooked the more-rish ๐—•๐—ฎ๐—ธ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐—ป ๐—ธ๐—ฒ๐—ฝ๐—ถ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด: crabmeat-minced pork-shrimp meatballs in a taucheo-bamboo shoot soup.

We ordered 3 type of lunch- sets, which we picked up from their new premises on Kajang Road:

1. ๐—–๐—ต๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐—ธ๐—ฒ๐—ป ๐—ฐ๐˜‚๐—ฟ๐—ฟ๐˜† ๐—ž๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐—ถ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ป, ๐—น๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฏ๐—ฎ๐—ธ & ๐—ท๐—ถ๐˜‚ ๐—ต๐˜‚ ๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฟ ๐—น๐˜‚๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ต ๐˜€๐—ฒ๐˜

2. ๐—ก๐—ฎ๐˜€๐—ถ ๐—น๐—ฒ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐—ธ ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐—ฏ๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ณ ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ป๐—ฑ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ด & ๐—ฎ๐˜€๐—ฎ๐—บ ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐˜€๐—ต

3. ๐—ก๐—ฎ๐˜€๐—ถ ๐˜‚๐—น๐—ฎ๐—บ ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐—ฎ๐˜€๐—ฎ๐—บ ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐˜€๐—ต

Dessert was ๐—ฆ๐—ฎ๐—ด๐—ผ ๐—š๐˜‚๐—น๐—ฎ ๐— ๐—ฒ๐—น๐—ฎ๐—ธ๐—ฎ, done very well here.

@Harters No more Lao Gan Ma condiment - what a relief. :joy:

1 Like

Iโ€™ve not seen sago, as a dessert, since I was a youngster. Back then, you could get a creamy sago pudding in tins. A childhood favourite, with raspberry jam stirred through it.

We actually have tinned sago dessert in supermarkets here in Singapore or Penang even as recent as the 90s! Imported from the UK, no less.

I see that you can still order the one by Ambrosia online in the UK:

Mate - thatโ€™s a 1/12th scale miniature tin for a dollโ€™s house.

Oh lawd, just saw the webpage name. :joy::joy::joy:

Hereโ€™s a โ€œproperโ€ one:
https://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/ambrosia-creamed-rice-pudding

Ah, thatโ€™s rice pudding - still readily available in supermarkets here. It is a long time ago but I think it was Ambrosia who used to make the sago version.

1 Like

Ambrosia probably stopped production because of the difficulty in procuring raw sago supplies. We donโ€™t have such problems here in Singapore, Malaysia or Thailand.

I heard tapioca pudding can be a close substitute.
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/rice-sponge-pudding/ambrosia-tapioca-385g

Sainsburyโ€™s is our usual supermarket and weโ€™re actually just off there now for the weekly โ€œbig shopโ€. Iโ€™ll look out for the Ambrosia. That said, all the news stories in the last few days are about shortages due to supply chain issues, so Iโ€™m half expecting lots of empty shelves (and a big queue to fill up with petrol).

1 Like

Yes, weโ€™ve been following the news on that. Hope things wonโ€™t turn out to be too bad, John. Keeping our fingers crossed here.

Just back from Sainsburys. Seemed reasonably well stocked - and much better than when my companion in life was there a few days back. And only a short queue for petrol (not that I needed to fill up). And I got my tin of Ambrosia Tapioca pudding :grinning:

2 Likes