[Penang, Malaysia] Lunch at Hudson's Deli, Tanjung Bungah

As Penang (together with 5 other states in the Malaysian federation) prepares to go into another COVID lockdown from Wed, Jan 13, we decided to lunch at where I’d regard as George Town’s number 1 delicatessen: Christian Heidenreich and Pearlian Loo’s nifty, little Hudson’s Deli.

This little oasis of good food is my favorite lunch spot - and that of many other Penangites - now that we are all locked down on our little island here.

Malaysia, on the whole, has closed its borders to all foreign tourists and visitors since March 2020. But with the COVID pandemic on the upswing again since the beginning of this year (Penang has a record 300+ new cases yesterday), the affected states - the others are Kuala Lumpur, Selangor, Malacca, Johore and Sabah - are also closing their borders to visitors from other states. Within the 6 states, no more dining-in at the restaurants are allowed, although we can do take-outs.

Well, we decided to pay Christian and Pearlian a visit, where we can sit and enjoy their food for one last time in what would probably be for a long while (the lockdown will be for two weeks initially, but everyone expect it to last for up to two months).

What we ordered:
:large_orange_diamond: Christian’s Austrian but cooks up an incredible Hungarian goulash (echoes of the old Austro-Hungarian Empire here :joy:) - best on the island, a classic version here with its deep, mellow flavors, and chunks of beef and potatoes.

:large_orange_diamond: Panzanella salad - the classic Tuscan salad of toasted bread, chopped tomatoes, cucumber, sliced purple onions, and crisp greens, in a light, tangy olive oil-tomato-garlic-shallot dressing. The freshness of the salad greens here really lifted the whole ensemble.

:large_orange_diamond: Fior di Capra goat’s cheese from Italy, served on a bed of crisp salad - a seasonal offering, with the milky goat’s cheese being the centerpiece: you get a whole disc of the creamy, un-pressed, pate-like cheese.

:large_orange_diamond: Grilled chicken meatloaf, with potato salad and greens - one of the most popular menu items here. Christian serves it with a tangy, vinegar-spiked potato salad.

:large_orange_diamond: Hudson’s Deli’s best-seller: the Reuben sandwich, with pastrami, Austrian sauerkraut and Swiss cheese on rye-bread.

Finished off with some good freshly-brewed Austrian coffee.

Address
Hudson’s Deli
103, Jalan Chan Siew Teong, 11200 Tanjung Bungah, Penang, Malaysia
Tel: +6016-213 8344
Opening hours: 11am to 6pm, Tue to Sun. Closed on Mondays.

*** With the new COVID lockdown from Jan 13 2021, only take-outs will be available ***

6 Likes

The place is popular with Western expats, surely.

The proofing baskets on the counter are used for (sliced) bread there?
I have the same one, and a round one.

2 Likes

Yes. :grin: :+1:

I use my for both their intended purpose (proofing bread) and as bread baskets.

2 Likes

I do cakes, but I’d never baked any sort of bread before! Somehow, I never got round to do it.

One of my sisters love baking breads, though - here are some of her handiwork: she’d done everything, from focaccia to English muffins.

5 Likes

Really nice variety you have there!

1 Like

Hudson’s Deli had a rousing Chinese Lunar New Year tea party for its family, friends and loyal customers, with a lion dance display this afternoon. Still serves out the best goulash in town, the best Reuben sandwich, and now, the best tiramisu!

It’s also doubled its seating capacity last year by taking over its next door neighbor’s space.

Owner-chef, Christian Heidenreich, with his brother and sister-in-law who are visiting from Austria. They timed their visit to catch the Chinese New Year festivities in Penang.

6 Likes