[Penang, Malaysia] Japanese kappo lunch at Komorebi Dining, Rope Walk

Lunch today at 4-month-old Komorebi Dining on Rope Walk, headed by Bukit Mertajam-born Chef de Cuisine, Wayne Eng.

Wayne spent 19 years working in various Japanese restaurants in Singapore, including a lengthy stint at 1-Michelin-star 𝗦𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗷𝗶 𝗯𝘆 𝗞𝗮𝗻𝗲𝘀𝗮𝗸𝗮 at the Carlton. He brings back an ultra-refined style of cooking, and how helms his own kappo eatery (kappo cuisine is where the orders were cooked in front of the diner, allowing food to be consumed practically there & then).

Our lunch:
Sakizuke: monaka (wafer), with melon pickles, myoga (Japanese ginger flower), ankimo (monkfish liver) and kinome (Japanese pepper).

Zensai: hotate (scallop), yaki nasu (grilled eggplant), urui (hosta shoots), irizake (roasted sake) jelly.

Sorry, I’d never seen pea-sized tomatoes before - a first for me. :joy:

Chawanmushi with shitake mushrooms.

Seasonal offerings: buri (yellowtail), maguro akami (lean tuna), tako (octopus), gyoku (rolled omelette), komochi kombu (seaweed-salmon roe)

Binchotan: grilled unagi & cauliflower.

Donabe (hotpot): chirime, nanohana (rapeseed) and sakura ebi (cherry blossom shrimps).

I was most impressed by their preparation of the 𝘸𝘢𝘳𝘢𝘣𝘪𝘮𝘰𝘤𝘩𝘪, where the hot, molten, glutenous 𝘸𝘢𝘳𝘢𝘣𝘪𝘬𝘰 (bracken starch) was poured into a pan covered with 𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘢𝘬𝘰 (sweet, toasted soybean flour).

One of the better kappo eateries in George Town, with meticulous attention to detail.

Address
Komorebi Dining
138, Jalan Pintal Tali (Rope Walk), 10100 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
Tel: +6012-858 1138
Opening hours: 6.30pm-10pm Tue to Thu.
12.30pm-2.30pm, 6.30pm-10pm Fri to Sun. Clossed on Mondays.

7 Likes