[Penang, Malaysia] Home-cooking during the COVID-19 Lockdown

Thanks. I made it again last week with haddock fillet. Will show you the photo next time.

These days I hardly go food shopping and the salted/preserved vegs come in handy and they keep well.

1 Like

BTW, Penang is one of the 6 Malaysian states (together with Kuala Lumpur, Malacca, Selangor, Johore and Sabah) will go into another one-month-long lockdown starting this Wednesday due to the recent rise in COVID cases. Penang is reporting over 200 cases daily.

So, it’ll be back to more home-cooking for me here as all restaurants, cafes and hawker/food centres can only offer take-outs during the lockdown period.

2 Likes

Same here. Current 5 week lockdown has been extended to Feb 9.

Look forward to seeing your home-cooked food again.

1 Like

Same in all four nations of the UK. My borough currently has about 150 new infections per day (population about 300k) and we are one of the lowest in the metro area. Things now appear to be worse than in the first wave in the spring - yet our lockdown is unfathomably less restrictive than then.

1 Like

This is an economic consideration, like the lockdown in France in November vs the very strict lockdown in spring. I believe the English has more faith in vaccination, the situation will be getting better after spring. Here, survey shows more than 60% of French refused to be vaccinated. A journalist asked why the president or the minsters didn’t vaccinate in front of the camera, the health minister said he feared that would create a even larger resistance. :rofl:

How much population in Penang?

In France, daily cases about ± 20 000 everyday, population 67 million. 1/3 of the country has a 6 pm curfew, in the Parisian region, the curfew is at 8 pm. Restaurants are closed since end of October, the original plan was to reopen on 20 January. On Sunday, I got a phone call from a restaurant saying my mid February reservation was cancelled and postponed to 1 May! Honestly, no idea when we can eat out again, I hope earlier than that.

Stay safe and happy cooking!

Yes, I saw that survey the other day. Very worrying. I think the UK figure is more than 70% have said they will get the vaccine - and those figures are generally going up.

1 Like

1.7 million.

How disappointing! But I guess we all have to sit tight till this pandemic is over. Let’s keep our fingers crossed.

Everyone in the world - including the Chinese - are COVID-fatigued. They know the virus is still out there, but they can’t be bothered to observe the precautions anymore.

The difference in China is that the Communist Party there still can use brute force and intimidation to force their populace into strict lockdowns, something which very few other governments in other countries can afford to do.

Not Covid related but we get quite a lot of coverage of the ongoing situation in Hong Kong. Worrying times.

1 Like

Penang is back in Lockdown again, with the recent spike in COVID cases - we had 194 cases yesterday, ugh, and Malaysia has 3,211 cases overall.

Restaurants are allowed to do deliveries or take-outs, though.

Day Three of the lockdown and I decided to make Shakshouka for breakfast with whatever I have in my fridge.

Yesterday, I did a breakfast takeout from my favourite neighbourhood eatery, Warisan Bonda - their lacy, eggy roti jala crepes with beef-and-potato curry never disappoints. Best on the island.

Lunch yesterday was wantan noodles from the famous Genting Cafe in Island Glades. Typical Malaysian-style wantan noodles with dark soy sauce dressing, but to which I added a fried egg (yup, fried egg on wantan noodles is ALL THE RAGE in Singapore right now!!) and a piece of Spam.
Probably works for the Singaporean palate, but not for me. :joy: :-1: :-1:

Dinner yesterday evening consisted of some fruits I got from the morning market in my neighbourhood: pitahaya and sapodilla.

1 Like
“Food is a pretty good prism through which to view humanity.”

― Jonathan Gold