[Penang, Malaysia] Crabmeat laksa at Art & Garden, Teluk Bahang

In the northwest corner of Penang island, away from the urban sprawl of George Town, past the fishing villages of Tanjung Bungah and the sandy beaches of Batu Ferringhi, a long and winding road takes one through the emerald-green rainforests of Teluk Bahang and into Fuan Wong’s Art and Garden, an amazing tropical answer to Seattle’s Chihuly Garden and Glass.

Perched on a hillock overlooking the Straits of Malacca, glass art sculptor and passionate foodie, Fuan Wong’s organic glass sculptures blend seamlessly with his collection of thousands of species of flora.
DSC05291

But, for me at least, the highlight of this visit was the legendary crabmeat laksa prepared by Fuan Wong’s personal chef, Para, which has been hailed by many as the best they’d ever had. And that includes Canadian TV chef, David Rocco, when he was in Penang back in 2019. :joy:

Fuan Wong bringing us to the outdoor dining area surrounded by foliage a-plenty.

The crabmeat laksa tasted phenomenal: chunks of crabmeat in a luscious, creamy and subtly-spiced gravy, thick rice noodles, chopped cucumbers, raw onion rings and pineapple, fresh sprigs of mint, and finely-chopped pink torch ginger. We drizzled the pungent “hae koh” (fermented shrimp paste), a very Penang condiment, over the bowl of curried noodles before digging in.

It is true what they say - you’d never had laksa until you’ve had the crabmeat laksa here at Art and Garden.

Address
Art & Garden
Jalan Teluk Bahang, 11000 Penang, Malaysia
Tel: +6012-485 5074
Operating hours: 9.30am to 6.30pm daily
Advance pre-order for the crabmeat laksa is necessary, subject to minimum orders set by the establishment.

4 Likes

Fab glass. And food.

1 Like

Wow! Sadly, I hadn’t seen this place mentioned back when we visited Penang back in 2012. Reminds me of the famous glass flowers at Harvard Museum, but on a much grander much different scale. This would’ve been right up our alley, the sightseeing combined with that unbelievable-looking/sounding laksa.

1 Like

Fuan Wong inherited his family’s estate way back, but only opened this private garden to the public in 2015 - you’ll need to come when it’s possible to travel again.

Rick Stein had an encounter with Fuan Wong during his Penang visit. :grin:

Thanks for bringing me! Great pics and laksa!!!

1 Like