[Penang, Malaysia] Central Javanese lunch at Sitigun, Nagore Square

A Central Javanese lunch today at ๐—ฆ๐—ถ๐—ง๐—ถ๐—ด๐˜‚๐—ป, the 11-year-old eponymously-named cafe run by Central Javanese/Bandung native, Tigun Wibisana, and his Kelantanese wife, Sandra.

We opted for:
:small_orange_diamond: ๐—š๐—ฎ๐—ฑ๐—ผ-๐—ด๐—ฎ๐—ฑ๐—ผ, consisting of ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฌ ๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ (soybean cake), ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ฌ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ๐˜ช๐˜ญ (potato croquette), ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฑ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ซ๐˜ฐ crisps, hard-boiled egg, and mixed vegetables (cabbage, long beans) with a piquant, spiced peanut sauce

:small_orange_diamond: ๐—ง๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ด๐˜€๐—ฒ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ธ๐—ฎ๐—บ๐—ฏ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด

:small_orange_diamond: ๐—ข๐—ฝ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ฎ๐—บ

:small_orange_diamond: Soto Ayam - this is a Javanese spiced chicken soup, served with perkedil (potato croquette), hard-boiled egg, sprouts and rice.

Shredded chicken-meat in the soto ayam was cooked perfectly.

:small_orange_diamond: Beef rendang - a piquant, dry beef curry with deep, mellow flavors. Itโ€™s accompanied by ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ฌ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ๐˜ช๐˜ญ (potato croquette), egg, ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฌ ๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ (soybean cake), ๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ข๐˜ฑ (Javanese salad), prawn crackers & rice.

Penangโ€™s only go-to spot for good, authentic Javanese food.

SiTigunโ€™s forte is actually its coffee, roasted on premises and expertly brewed.
Left: Arabica, and right: Robusta.

๐—ฆ๐—ถ๐—ง๐—ถ๐—ด๐˜‚๐—ป occupies the building on Nagore Road which formerly housed Penangโ€™s last Jewish synagogue.

Address
SiTigun Micro Coffee Roastery
28, Jalan Nagor (Nagore Road), 10050 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
Tel: +604-228 7108
Opening hours: 8am to 5pm Tue-Sun. Closed on Mondays.
Lunch orders from 12 noon.

14 Likes

Looks wonderful, @klyeoh - especially that Rendang! (Bit sad about the last synagogue, thoughโ€ฆ)

3 Likes

I dream of getting to Penang, and this only reinforces the need to make that happen sooner than later.

2 Likes

Itโ€™s very sad. But the Penang-Jews, who came during the British colonial times, subsequently emigrated to Singapore and Australia, where there are larger communities to be able to form a minyan.

3 Likes

I do hope youโ€™re able to come soon. Call me if you do.

Itโ€™s interesting they emigrated to Singapore and Australia rather than Israel, which is where a lot of Indian Jews went.

1 Like

I think they chose other Commonwealth countries, which probably offered them a lifestyle and environment similar to, or closely resembled, what they had in Penang.

1 Like