[Penang, Malaysia] Breakfast at PACE Coffee, Beach Street

Two-month-old PACE Coffee is currently George Town’s hottest breakfast spot, with permanent queues at its nifty, little no-reservations premises on the grittier end of Beach Street (near Prangin Canal, not the flashier end a couple of miles up towards the banking district).

PACE’s “American”-style breakfast platters are proving popular with its local clientele.

There’s something “Japanese” about the presentation, though: the tiny, carefully-arranged portions: a folded slice of ham here, a small piece of grilled bacon there, one hash brown (I could devour a few of those at one sitting), a small salad drizzled with honey-mustard dressing, a tiny decanter of perfectly-seasoned chopped tomatoes.

The Americano was perfect, but came in a small espresso-sized cup. It had a fortune cookie-like message card on the side. The coffee was, really, the best I’d tasted in town, ever. But everything here seemed assembled by little pixie hands, for pixie-sized appetites. Next time I come here, I’ll just have to order two of everything.

Patient waiting for tables both inside and outside the tiny establishment.

Located at No. 397 Beach Street, the cafe is also only two doors away from the historic Seang Hin Leong Rattan & Bamboo Crafts shop on No. 393. Seang Hin Leong is owned by Sim Buck Teik, the nanogenarian rattan-weaving master craftsman who’s been listed by the Penang Heritage Trust as one of the state’s “Living Heritage Treasures”.

Suitably, PACE Coffee’s interior incorporated many woven-rattan features which reflected Seang Hin Leong’s products.

Address
PACE Coffee
397, Beach Street, 10300 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
Tel: +6014-368 1789
Opening hours: 8am to 6pm, Mon-Tue, Thu-Sun. Closed on Wednesdays.

6 Likes