[Penang] Lunch at The Thai, Sri Bahari Road

Nothing beats a good lunch and conversation with Penang’s Doyenne of Domesticity, Pearly Kee - cookbook writer and TV personality, who also runs a cooking school for Penang and Nyonya cooking.

We were at The Thai, a 1-year-old modern-Thai joint owned by Pattrawadee C. Grace, a talented graphic artist and self-taught chef.

Our lunch at 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗧𝗵𝗮𝗶 on Sri Bahari Road consisted of:
𝘛𝘢𝘮 𝘬𝘩𝘢𝘰 𝘱𝘰𝘥 𝘬𝘢𝘪 𝘬𝘦𝘮 (ตำข้าวโพด) - Thai-style sweet corn salad with salted duck’s egg (left) and 𝘠𝘶𝘮 𝘮𝘰𝘰 𝘰𝘣 (ยำหมูอบ) - spicy roasted pork salad (right).

𝘛𝘰𝘮 𝘬𝘩𝘢 𝘬𝘢𝘪 (ต้มข่าไก่) - Thai galangal-coconut milk chicken soup;

𝘒𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘰𝘮 𝘫𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘨𝘢𝘦𝘯𝘨 𝘬𝘦𝘢𝘸 𝘨𝘢𝘪 (ขนมจีน แกงเขียวหวานไก่)- Thai rice noodles with chicken green curry;

𝘒𝘰 𝘮𝘶 𝘺𝘢𝘯𝘨 (คอหมูย่าง) - grilled pork neck, served on steamed white rice, topped with a fried egg.

𝘿𝙚𝙨𝙨𝙚𝙧𝙩𝙨
Delicate egg yolk-based desserts here included 𝘛𝘩𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘺𝘰𝘵 (ทองหยอด) - duck’s egg-syrup golden drops.

𝘍𝘰𝘪 𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘯𝘨 (ฝอยทอง) - duck’s egg-syrup golden strands.

𝘓𝘰𝘰𝘬 𝘤𝘩𝘰𝘰𝘱 (ลูกชุบ) - fruit-shaped gelatin-covered mashed mung bean sweets.

One of the best Thai spots in George Town at the moment.

Address
The Thai • เดอะไทย Cafe and Restaurant
1, Jalan Sri Bahari, 10050 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
Tel: +604-217 0467
Opening hours: 11am-3pm, 5.30pm-10pm Tue to Sun. Closed on Mondays.

8 Likes

That’s some Thai Fine Dining there, without the tweezers!!! Bravo!!

Be still my heart.

I need to sit down.

3 Likes

Back to The Thai today - to try its fusion-Thai/Western cakes.

We needed some light and savory for lunch first, and opted for 𝘵𝘰𝘮 𝘬𝘩𝘢 𝘬𝘢𝘪 (chicken in galangal-coconut milk soup) with 𝘬𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘰𝘮 𝘤𝘩𝘪𝘯 (rice vermicelli).

Tom kha kai is my one absolute favorite Thai dish, if I have to choose one. The one here had the right taste profile, but used horrendous frozen chicken pieces, so they all turned out tasteless. But I’ll still order that again, if only for the soup.

The cakes were a totally different proposition altogether: each and every one that we had was exquisite:

1. Pumpkin flan atop pandan sponge cake:

2. Egg custard flan on taro sponge:

3. Pandan sponge cake:

Best cakes in town!!

7 Likes