[Penang] Koay teow th'ng at Lorong Ngah Aboo, off Kimberley St

Penang koay teow th’ng can be divided into three major types: the pork version, the duck-meat, and the less-common chicken version. This very popular stall at Lorong Ngah Aboo sells the latter version. It opens early in the morning around 7.30am but it’s off-days are not fixed. Last Friday when I went down there, it was closed :frowning:

Using charcoal brazier to simmer their duck-pork broth.

“Koay teow th’ng” - flat rice noodles in a light pork-duck consommé is of Teochew (Chaozhou/Chiuchow) origins. In Vietnam, it’s known as “Hu Tieu Nam Vang” and tastes 95% the same as Penang’s. “Hu Tieu Nam Vang” basically means “koay teow from Phnom Penh” - as itinerant Teochew vendors from Phnom Penh, Cambodia, introduced this dish to the Vietnamese.

The Teochews also cannot do without their fishballs:

This very popular stall is located at the small Lorong Ngah Aboo, off Kimberley Street, near Carnarvon Street. Come early as they sell out before 11am.

3 Likes

Good to know the history of the koay teow th’ng/ hu tieu nam vang dish. I did not know that its a teochew dish. the versions around where i am, including one in San Jose i posted a few days ago, don’t have fish balls.

How’re their fish balls? Or are the noodles the star?

I think for “koay teow th’ng”, most Teochews go for the fishballs, which are springy/spongey in texture. I’m half-Teochew myself but do not have any affinity for those :smiley:

Teochew soups are usually light and clear, blander compared to Cantonese versions, but that’s what the Teochew palate prefers.

“Food is a pretty good prism through which to view humanity.”

― Jonathan Gold