[Penang] Hawker eats at KTG Cafe, Lorong Selamat

A maternal aunt & 2 cousins were in town yesterday, on a short visit from San Francisco. It was a good opportunity for me to introduce them to one of my fave “kopitiams” in George Town: KTG Cafe (formerly known as Low Eng Hoo, until a change of ownership sometime last year) for its good selection of Penang hawker food.

1. Lor bak
    The version here is well-known for its prawn fritters rather than its 5-spice meat rolls. Very nice, but something not quite right with its “lor” dipping sauce today, which did not show the usual egg-white ribbons on the thick, gooey 5-spice dip. Chef’s off-day?

1. Oh chien
    Typical Hokkien (Fujianese) oyster omelette. The version here is tasty, but used large oysters instead of the tiny, sweet Penang oysters which I much prefer.

1. Orh kueh
    Steamed taro pudding topped with a mixture of crushed groundnuts, golden-fried shallots and dried shrimps, then served with hoi sin sauce and chili sauce. Pretty respectable version here.

1. Jiu hu Eng Chye
    Very tasty rendition here - a thick, unctuous and very aromatic beansauce-prawn paste slathered atop poached water spinach and cuttlefish, then covered with toasted, crushed groundnuts. The different textures and flavours combined beautifully.

1. Ice kacang
    The version here at KTG Cafe is probably the best in Penang, with its fragrant rose syrup dressing putting it a class above all its rivals.

The char koay teow here, courtesy of the Goggle Man is one of the best on the island. We did order it but I didn’t remember photograph it before my cousins cleaned everything up.

It was an amazing tea-time spread - something Penangites take for granted, but a revelation for my visitors from the SF Bay Area as you can’t really find hawker food of this standard and quality over there.

Address
KTG Cafe
82-84, Lorong Selamat
10400 George Town, Penang
Tel: +6016-499 4646
Opening hours: 11am-6pm, daily except Thursdays.

4 Likes

Nice spread!

1 Like