The bustling morning market in Ayer Itam is one of the busiest and most popular in Penang. It’s a mainly traditional Chinese market, selling everything from organic vegetables to livestock. It also offers a rich spread to choose from for breakfast.
- Penang-style Chee Cheong Fun - steamed rice-flour rolls with sweet beansauce, chilli paste, crisp-fried shallots and toasted sesame seeds.
- Lor Mai Kai - Cantonese-style steamed glutinous rice with BBQ pork, braised chicken and shitake mushroom, flavoured with oyster sauce, Chinese rice wine and ginger juice.
- Siew Mai (Pork Dumplings) - steamed pork-and-shrimp dumplings.
- Economy Beehoon Mee - a rustic breakfast noodle dish in Penang , where yellow Hokkien noodles and thin rice noodles are fried together with beansprouts, flavoured with light & dark soysauce and oyster sauce. It’s served with pickled green chillis and spicy red chilli paste, topped with crisp-fried “tim juk” (sweet bean-curd strips).
- Penang-style Curry Mee - yellow Hokkien noodles and thin rice noodles in a light coconut milk-infused curry soup, garnished with pig’s blood cubes, cuttlefish and tofu puffs.
- Customers waiting for Teoechew pan-fried radish cake at this popular stall.