Pear tart recipe of my childhood

Hello,

When I was a child, my mother made a pear tart. Once out of the oven it was topped with melted raspberry jam (I think… it was red fruits jam). My mother died a few years back and I’ve been trying to find the recipe for some time now. Is this tart part of your childhood memories? If yes please share the recipe with me. Thank you.

2 Likes

Have you tried running an image search on Google to pin down a visual description that might lead to a recipe? This method helped me find a fish dish my grandfather made. A pear tart with a jam glaze turned up dozens of variations…an image/visual might help narrow down the style/method you enjoyed.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your answer. I’ve used this method and found a few recipes I’ve tried but they weren’t the same unfortunately.

A visual or a little more description of the tart to help. What do you remember from a taste or texture standpoint? Were the pears all by themselves, like an apple pie type thing . . . or was there a batter type filling around the pears?

What era are we talking about? That might help pin point a style as well.

Sorry you lost the recipe. It’s always hard when we loose people, you wish you could go back in time to get some details down (recipes, family history, etc). Good Luck!

Anyone else in your family/friends that can help you recall?
How was the crust prepared, style?
How were the pears cut?
What flavors do you recall?

Might just be your Mom’s riff. In my search a friend of my Aunt helped me figure it out with the type of fish my grandfather used. It was his riff.

I’m the youngest of 5 children and I realise that none of my sister and brothers has the recipe. Some say the pears were red, some say it was strawberry jam. They didn’t help me much. Mom was a single child so no aunt to turn to. The pears were thinly sliced and placed on a shortcrust pastry. I don’t remember the batter we added before putting the tart in the oven. I’ve tried the french frangipane (almond based batter) but the taste was not the same.

All I recall is a shortcrust pastry with slices of pear. The batter remains a mystery though as the youngest child I was always in the kitchen with my mom. I’m not sure of the memory but I think we added whiskey to the melted jam.

This recipe was done in the 80s. I was about 8 years old and lived in London.

Oh my this is a treasure hunt! This food forum is large and international. :crossed_fingers:you find the answers here.

1 Like

Let’s try this step by step and talk about the tart first. This recipe has no frangipane.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/14733/pear-tart.aspx

thank you for the link. Let’s go step by step yes. I’ll try this recipe and top it with the melted jam and let you know if the taste is similar.

1 Like

I’ll help you look too! Love this kind of quest; would you mind telling us your mom’s heritage? That may help as well.

My mom is french. And I’ve gone through the french recipes without finding the one I was looking for.

Pear, shortcrust, whiskey . . . I’m in for this ride . . .

I am hardly a pear tart expert, but there are (IMHO) 4 general ways to go with a fruit tart.

1. frangipane - classic almond custard/batter poured around
  2. Just fruit - so just sliced fruit arranged and baked
  3. Fruit with crumble - just sliced fruit with a butter/flour mix crumbled over the top
  4. batter filling - as naf linked to above, a batter that is very similar with frangipane but with no almond

Thinning a fruit/jam with liquor to glaze the top of a fruit tart is very classic, so if you remember whiskey then I’d go with that. But it wouldn’t be traditional to glaze a “batter” filled tart, those are typically just dusted with powdered sugar (sometimes). So I wonder if it was a more straight forward fruit tart (a la #2, or #3).

So do you specifically remember your Mom pouring a batter into the tart? Topping a fruit tart with a crumble can create more of “filling” in the tart, since the flour in the crumble will also help thicken juices.

If your siblings remember red pears, do you remember your Mom poaching the pears before making the tart? That could easily create red pears - though a thinned jam glaze could do the same.

Just some things to consider.

3 Likes

Or do you mean using red skin pear. Below it is Red William which you can find in France and UK.

1 Like

Or the tart looked like this?

I have to say this wine poach pear tart looks good, I’m not very fond of pear tart, like to try this.

2 Likes

Are you Sherlock :female_detective:? Great analysis! :smiley:

2 Likes

Well, we’ll try to get this solved @Kspa2019!

I suspect the “jam” was melted red currant jelly, which is an excellent, shiny glaze for tarts featuring pears or stone fruits. Bosc pears are a good choice for baking because they don’t break down as much as softer, juicier pears do. My German mother made a fruit tart every week. Just a buttercookie dough pressed into a pie pan, with sliced fruit neatly arranged in rings. Apples were tossed with cinnamon sugar, other fruits just sugar and if very juicy, like blueberries, a little cornstarch. Baked at 350F until the crust was golden brown. Glaze, if any, was applied warm once the tart had cooled. Perhaps your mom’s “batter” was a simple creme patissiere.

1 Like