PBS: SOMEWHERE SOUTH Dumpling Dilemma - The Southern Chinese Americans of the Mississippi Delta and Jewish Matzoh Balls in Jackson, MS

In Clarksdale, Mississippi, Carol Chinn and Sally Chow share their “grocery stories” as the first generation of Southern Chinese American families in the Mississippi Delta. While dumplings are a huge labor of love, Carol recalls that her first American pot roast spurred a strong reaction out of her family.

excerpt:

The many wonders of schmaltz render Vivian speechless. In Jackson, Mississippi, home cooks Petra Kay, Susan Hart and Alli Parshall discuss the history of Jewish ingredients and why they’re so healing.

excerpt:

full 53-minute episode but expires: 05/31/20:

3 Likes

Thank you for posting this. The series looks very interesting and I doubt I would have found it on my own.

1 Like

It’s a really good show. Other installments have focused on hand pies and porridges; next week’s episode is on pickles.

Thanks for this. I went to the Sunflower River Blues & Gospel Festival in Clarksdale, MS last summer - this was a nice reminder. I did not have any dumplings while I was there, unless you count hush puppies, and maybe you do!

I somehow missed this thread. Argh. But happened upon last night’s Pickle episode. I’m a fan of Vivian and thought the show was really well done. Set the rest of them to record so hopefully I’ll get all these already aired shows too. Just pulled out Deep Run Roots to find a recipe for the collard greens that come in this weeks farm box.

I found a link to the April 17 Pickle 52-minute episode but it expires on May31, 2020:

SOMEWHERE SOUTH

What a Pickle

04/17/2020 | 52m 41s |Video has closed captioning.

Watch Preview

Vivian is asked to lecture on chow chow, a quintessentially Southern relish, at Asheville’s first ever Chow Chow Festival. From there, her preservation education dives into Indian and Sri Lankan pickles, Puerto Rican escabeche and Korean kimchi.

Aired: 04/17/20

Expires: 05/31/20

Rating: TV-G

1 Like

Well, you’re in luck–next week’s episode is going to focus on greens.

How Do You ‘Cue?

05/01/2020 | 52m 41s |Video has closed captioning.

Watch Preview

Every Southerner has a particular way they cook and eat barbecue. While Vivian knows North Carolina’s tradition of whole hog barbecue, she travels to Florida for smoked mullet and Texas for barbecue with Japanese and Mexican twists.

Aired: 05/01/20

Expires: 05/31/20

Rating: TV-G

1 Like

Love this show!