Pasty Kitchen [Los Alamitos, CA]

Hi everyone,

I live in South Pasadena, but I’ve also lived in Orange County. I’m especially interested in cultural fusion between Asian and American cooking. I’ve spent considerable time in Thailand, so I feel especially welcoming to my Thai friends here in SOCAL–and try out their curries.

I originally came from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where we invented the “Pasty”–different from the Cornish Pasty that is sometimes around.

Here’s a place to try that is both authentic and “fusion”:

I never thought I would see a Mexican-American do-over of a food item from my childhood–but this is SOCAL!

Highly recommended.

Ray

4 Likes

I clicked on this because I am also a native Michigander (middle of the mitten). I added the city and state to the title to make sure Californians see it, but how cool that our humble pasty made it all the way to CA!

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip on this place Ray! :slight_smile: I’ve never had a Michigan Pasty before, can’t wait to try it.

I promise you’ll like it. They have three versions–only the beef option is available in Iron River–but they have their own cultural updates since I’ve lived there:

Ray

1 Like

We’ve been going here for years. Make sure you get the beef gravy…it adds to the delicious pasty. The frozen pasties are also great. They heat up well and satisfies the craving without the drive.
It’s now being run by the second generation of the family.

2 Likes

I almost always have a cache of frozen ones in my fridge!

Ray

1 Like