Passing thru I-95 - ideas for easy exit/great food!

Parking close and safe for a packed car? When it just screams “tourist”!

:blush: That’s what thinking about food will do!

I think if I ate at Harolds I’d need a serious nap afterwards!

Baguette Delite in Edison is good, one of few places in NJ that do the classic the right way.

Also, not what you asked but I personally hop off in Fort Lee for some Korean food when I’m driving through.

I have pulled off the road a number of times at the Americana Diner in E. Windsor. I’ve never been to Mastori’s so can’t compare, but the Americana definitely does it for me.

Mastori’s has cheese-filled rolls in their bread basket. #thatisall

Exit 132 of the GSP is very convenient to Little India on Oak Tree Road in Edison.

While there are too many places to consider all of them in this thread, Tabak, Red Chutney, Mirchi and Rasoi come to mind.

More info here:

Sun Tavern on Westfield Ave in Roselle Park has really good pizza and sandwiches and is right off exit 137 on the GSP.

Sun Tavern
600 Westfield Ave W, Roselle Park, NJ 07204
(908) 241-0190

https://goo.gl/maps/37MBTJp2ix52

Caution it can be really busy Friday and Saturday nights.

Teddy’s Luncheonette in Cranbury is easily accessible from either exit 8 or exit 8a on the Turnpike.

Teddy’s Luncheonette
49 N Main St, Cranbury, NJ 08512
(609) 655-3120

https://goo.gl/maps/v58b5ygdZ6z

Just awesome diner style food in a great little old fashioned town.

I love, love, love Teddy’s.

Never had a bad meal there.

Depending on the time of day you may want to be careful with that area of Edison.

That stretch you are looking at is where I 287, the Turnpike, the GSP, and Route 1 and NJ 27 come together, so it is pretty much the traffic navel of New Jersey.

There can be a lot of traffic on Route 1 mornings and evenings, and I 287 going west is a huge problem from 7:00 to 10:00 am.

1 Like

Hightstown Diner in Hightstown (Exit 8 Turnpike) is another good one.

Hightstown Diner
151 Mercer St, Hightstown, NJ 08520
(609) 443-4600

https://goo.gl/maps/ohVenqYNM2x

Sorry to disagree VK, but the Hightstown Diner is not very good. The Americana is much better. HIghtstown Diner has gone way downhill from what it once was.

New Ownership?

All of the recent (6mos or newer) reviews on Google are 4-5 stars.

No ownership changes that I’m aware of. Recent reviews on yelp are mixed so I’m not the only one who has been disappointed with the food and service.

That is sad. They used to be top notch.

Wow! I’m hoping to check out all these new suggestions tonight and add to my list. You Jersy folks know how to come through!

1 Like

I had contemplated that route as a way to avoid some of the afterwork traffic…On my way north I’ll be passing through NJ in mid afternoon or early evening. The on-line navigator had me staying on I-95 through NYC to Conn. A fellow I was chatting with at the car mechanics who is from your area looked at the route and suggested I take the Tappan Zee (?) Bridge (I-287) instead to avoid the worst of the traffic if I hit the area at rush hour. He also suggested I get on the road at 4am but that’s not going to happen!

Much to consider. Thank you for giving me a better idea of what to expect.

You will DEFINITELY be in traffic no matter when you hit the tri-state area after 3pm (really), but I agree that the (NEW!) Tappan Zee is going to be slightly less congested than the nightmare that is the GWB/Cross Bronx (pretty much ANY time of day).

2 Likes

Fundamentally correct analysis.

2 Likes

[quote=“CurlzNJ, post:7, topic:10914, full:true”]
Mastori’s has cheese-filled rolls in their bread basket. #thatisall
[/quote]

That talked me into it!

Stopped by for a late lunch. Location was a little tricky to spot heading north with an ancient GPS . Made a u-turn and no problem finding it heading south.

Water and a plate with cheese bread and cinnamon bread arrive immediately. These aren’t delicate sized rolls, each is a hefty handful. The cheese is similar to that of a cheese danish and quite tasty. Salad was crisp, fresh with a homemade dressing. And filled the plate.

I had meatloaf which was one of the lunch specials of the day. Oh my! Three generous slices plus a smaller slice of meatloaf covered in a wonderful mushroom and onion red wine gravy. Whipped potatoes were a nice addition. My other side was house pickled beets. Nice with a light acidity and a bit of oregano. Not the usual sweet/sour brine.

Then the dessert tray comes out since the lunch special includes dessert. The server suggested boxing one up. Have yet to try the lemon coconut cake I choose. And, yeah, it’s not small.

The amount of food was a crazy deal for the money. And the food was quite good too. Service was quick, friendly, efficient. I’d definately return…after I finish the 3 more meals my leftover meatloaf will provide!:relaxed:

2 Likes

Yup, you were in a Jersey diner, alright! Glad you enjoyed Mastori’s!