[Paris]Trip Report: Montée Revisted

https://www.mlleshetravels.com/single-post/mlle-she-travels-restaurant-review-montée-revisted

To celebrate my return to the city after a two-and-a-half-year absence due to the COVID pandemic, I had an 8:30 PM reservation at Montée.

The dining room is small, with 4-5 tables in the main front dining room, then a second, private dining room with a larger table. The whole restaurant could seat about twenty-four people, which makes it feel very intimate. I sat at a table I had not sat at before, and had a splendid view of the entire restaurant, which makes for excellent people watching during dinner.

The chef at Montée, Takayuki Nameura, opened the first iteration of Montée in Kobe in 2006. He then moved to France and opened the current version of Montée in 2016 in Paris’ 14th Arrondissement, with his wife running the front of the house. I first visited in April 2017 after reading a stellar review by John Talbott, and loved the experience so much, I came back in July 2018. On arrival, I was greeted like an old friend returning, and I was incredibly happy to be back. Also, throughout the evening, the chef would come out and talk with each of the tables. It is indicative of the love and care that permeates every facet of this restaurant

For dinner, there is a set tasting menu with ten courses (seven savory and three dessert) for €105 with an optional cheese course for an additional €8. They do not offer a wine pairing with the menu but have wines by the glass and bottle. For my dinner, as it was a celebration, I went with the Taittinger Champagne to accompany my meal.

The first course was the amuse-bouche. This consisted of two different tastes. The first was a rice crisp that was covered in yeast that made the whole thing taste like a lovely, cheesy crisp. The second was familiar, it was the layered eggplant. As it has been before, this is visually interesting, with noticeably clear layers, and a nice eggplant flavor with a hint of smoke that was exactly right.

Second course was tomato sorbet with the corn crème brûlée. This is one of their signature courses, and as it was the last time I had it, it was excellent. I really enjoy the contrast of the fresh and cool texture of the tomato sorbet with the sweet corn crème brûlée.

After this course, the bread and butter, which is a staple on any French table was brought out. It probably violates all table etiquette, but I will totally take my bread and soak up the sauce. I definitely did that for both the sixth and seventh courses.

The third course was a green pea velouté with bulots, caviar, and seaweed. While I love bulots, I am not a fan of caviar, so this was my least favorite course of the savories. Even though it was my least favorite, it was still very well done. I appreciated the blend of the various flavors and textures, especially as my bulot eating experience is digging them out of the shell and dipping them in mayonnaise.

The fourth course was the Montée classic foie gras topped with banana with tapioca smoke. I absolutely adore this course. Every time I eat this, it is a revelation that banana and foie gras pair so well together. This with the champagne was an absolute winner.

The fifth course was squid served with coconut and bulgur. This was remarkably similar to a dish I had on my very first visit to Montée back in 2017 but was much more sophisticated. I loved that the dish was monochromatic but had a balanced blend of various flavors and textures.

The sixth course was John Dory with yuzu, potato, and wood sorrel. John Dory is one of my favorite fish. It is a saltwater fish that is found off the coasts of Europe with firm, white flesh with a mild, sweet flavor that is low in fat. It is rare to see John Dory in the US, though it can be imported. The yuzu, which was used as a part of the sauce, complimented the fish but did not overpower it. I loved this dish, and similarly to the foie gras dish, this paired amazingly well with the champagne. Bread was definitely used to soak up all the sauce.

The seventh and final savory course was lamb, which was served with artichoke, edamame, and asparagus in a sauce flavored with the au jus from the lamb and anchovies. I am usually not an anchovy fan, but the addition of the anchovies to the au jus just added a briny pop that was incredibly complimentary to the dish. As with the sixth course, I used the last of my bread to soak up the last but of the sauce.

I of course ordered the cheese course which was a 2018 Comte. I was still drinking champagne, but I ordered a glass of 1996 Sauternes to go with it. The cheese came with dried figs and a few slices of baguette.

The eighth course, and the first dessert course, was a deconstructed rhubarb and strawberry tart. Strawberry and rhubarb pie is a favorite of mine as it is not overly sweet, so I loved everything about this dessert.

The ninth course was a decadent dish of chocolate, mint, and thyme. There were a lot of various textures and chocolate flavors in this, with hints of mint and thyme. The mint and thyme were complimentary and not overwhelming.

The tenth and final course meant to emulate caramel popcorn. It was a tasty and fun end to another fantastic dinner at Montée.

Montée, located at 9 Rue Léopold Robert, is open for lunch (12:00 - 14:00) and dinner (19:30 - 21:30), Tuesday through Saturday. For more information or to make reservations, go to their website.

13 Likes

So, I copied my post directly from my website. I am not sure why every photo was duplicated on Hungry Onion, but it was. Anyone an expert on this site know how to fix?

Thank you, very nice report and it looks like a wonderful meal.

3 Likes

Great report! I’m curious about the surface of the foie. Torch or pan sear? Coated with anything?

Champagne is, I think, under-appreciated for its versatility, a great choice.

4 Likes

Great looking food and Great Review! Many Thanks! Cannot wait for our turn in 3 months time! Hope instead of the lamb we’ll get some ’ game meat '?! Yummm!

1 Like

I agree. Years ago, a friend showed me that a bottle of Prosecco was a very good accompaniment to the Indian food we were eating.

2 Likes

I feel like it is pan seared. No coating that I can tell. Just a nice slab of foie with the bananas. You have to get the bite with everything. I cannot remember what sauce the dot is. I think it is some sort of syrupy balsamic. I usually try and get a bite with banana, foie, and the tapioca smoke with a tad of sauce. The perfect bite.

I have not been to this particular restaurant in the fall. I will be very interested to hear how the menu changes.

1 Like

Whew! What an absolutely well done, ne epic meal.
I enjoyed the heck out of it just looking at it.

1 Like

Brava. Chapeau ! Well done. Unlike many reviews, you captured the “feel” of the restaurant which, to me, is just as important as the food on the plate.

2 Likes

Fixed.

1 Like

Thanks for the review. I see the flavours matching is getting more sophisticated and more daring than my more classic but well executed meal a few years back. Definitely worth a return.

Besides food, they had a huge beautiful boutique of flowers, I wonder if they still keep this ritual.

To illustrate the evolution, this is the older Montée thread on HO:

2 Likes

Montee is one of our favorite restaurants in Paris. Our last dinner there in September 2021 we were the only diners and I was quite worried if it will survive the pandemic. Besides the outstanding food, service, and quiet atmosphere, I really appreciate their meticulous attention to detail and the use of high end glassware (Zalto, if I recall correctly).

1 Like

I also loved this restaurant when I was there many years ago. Agree with @beam, time for a return visit!

1 Like

Funnily enough, my first visit there in 2017, I was the only diner that evening. It was a Thursday evening in late April right before Round 1 of the French elections.

It’s a very strange restaurant indeed. Everybody that has been there seemed to be the only diners of the meal. My lunch there was also the only diners as well, only the 2 of us, plus the wife serving us and the husband chef.

1 Like

For our first visit in November 2017 we were the only ones there for the first hour and a half. Then another two women, who appeared to be regulars, came in and occupied another table.

1 Like

Curious if you have tried both Kei and Montee? I made a reservation at Montee for my trip but have just gotten a reservation for Kei and both meals (along with the rest of my itinerary) is probably a bit of overkill unfortunately

I’ll let you know. Just made a reservation for dinner Sept 24. Thanks for the detailed write up & pictures.

@SteveR. I have the impression that you an egregious. chatty, perhaps loud type. If so, I wonder if Montée (among others) would be a good fit for you. The food is fab but the very subdued ambiance will probably not suit you.

Or maybe I’m confusing the Steves on this board. If so, apologies.