Paris trip report: Brasserie Martin, Tekes, L'Apibo, Aux Crus de Bourgogne

I have just returned from two weeks in France, traveling solo and focusing on the wine regions in Bordeaux and Burgundy, as well as some time spent in the Dordogne. Since I had just a few days in Paris I wanted to share my experiences as this board was very helpful in making my choices.

On this particular visit I decided to forgo tasting menus and Michelin star restaurants in Paris, since I would be doing quite a few elsewhere in France. What I was specifically looking for were neighborhood places with good food, an interesting clientele (some locals but tourist friendly) and good value. So I am acknowledging the below list might be less than exciting to many, but might still be helpful to others.

Between many days in the SW gorging myself on wine and very rich food I had one day in Paris before continuing to Burgundy. I wanted something pretty reasonable and with non-meat options as I was in danger of turning into a large piece of foie gras at that point. I chose Brasserie Martin in the 11th. It is truly hard to find fault with such a winning formula; the atmosphere was young and very fun (tons of locals celebrating various things) and I love the concept of charging you for only the wine you drink from the bottle brought to your table. The menu was a hodgepodge of fairly traditional dishes, and I opted for a starter of the vinaigrette leeks followed by their veggie dish which was soft pillowy gnocchi served in a creamy cheese sauce dotted with broccoli, mushrooms and hazelnuts. The food was not earth shattering but it was flavorful and prepared well and I so wish I had a neighborhood restaurant like this close. It would be a fine fit for date nights, groups, families, etc.

After time in Burgundy I had just a few days in Paris before heading home. I booked Tekes in advance as I knew I really wanted to try one of the well regarded Levantine restaurants, and the menu was the most appealing to me. It is the vegetarian companion from the Shabour team and as a solo diner was looking forward to sitting at the counter and watching the chefs in action. Wow- this was an amazing meal! The name of the restaurant means “ceremony” in Hebrew and it really feels like you are at a party. I talked through the courses and options with the chef so I knew exactly what to order and I settled on small plates including the laffa bread course, the aija (zucchini with potato cakes and tzatziki) as well as the very famous gnocchi with a quite sophisticated curry sauce and yogurt. As she was preparing dishes for other tables she also sent over servings of the fatoush and later the chocolate mousse on the house. The wine list was incredibly small and thoughtful and I tried a delicious red from Armenia.

I wanted to dine at a good local bistro and L’Apibo was close and had just posted their autumn carte. When I arrived at 8:30 there were two tables of tourists finishing up, but the rest of the clientele seemed local and the place stayed completely full. I was seated next to a group of co-workers who it turned out work in the Paris branch of the same firm I work for in the US; a happy coincidence. My starter was a rich pumpkin veloute with a chicken confit ravioli and toasted chestnuts, and for the main I had the slow cooked pork with sweet potato mousseline. It is neighborhood restaurants like this that Paris does better than just about any other city; places where the food is fresh and creative at very reasonable price points. Again, this was not a bistronomic meal, but well prepared and highlighting the bounty of the season.

Finally for my last meal in France I decided I wanted one very traditional meal of steak au poivre and frites. Based on recommendations from this board I booked at Aux Crus de Bourgogne and it was very nice. The setting was perfect and the clientele was a mix of tourists and locals. I got so chummy with the table next to me that they bought me a Calvados with their digestif. The frisee salad with poached egg was yummy and the steak of poivre perfectly rare and tender. I confess I haven’t had the Paul Bert version but I’m not sure why people would go out of their way for just one famous place when delicious steaks are being served elsewhere. On special that night were lots of interesting game dishes as well. The staff was also fun and flirty, and it was definitely an upbeat room, obviously not at all stuffy or pretentious.

13 Likes

Thanks for this report @Kathrynanne! Indeed helpful to have these places in mind, as good food, not too fussy is often also a need of mine when traveling. Curious about how you traveled in the wine country? Were you driving? Training? Or…? Also, perhaps when you have a minute, you would also write about those experiences?

Thanks- I’ll work on my report for the other areas and post when I can. Short answer though was I flew into Bordeaux, then used trains to get to the Dordogne and Burgundy before ending in Paris, hiring guides along the way for specific touring.

4 Likes

Many thanks for your delightful write-up.

Sometimes, Hung-On-ers seem to forget that a restaurant is more than the food and wine and is—or can be—a joyous social experience. You have recognized that quintessential “joie” and celebration of life that so many less rarified, more neighbourhood-y Paris restaurants can serve up in great abundance. And you chose well… brava ! Brasserie Martin (and all its siblings in the Nouvelle Garde group), Aux Crus de Bourgogne, Tekes, L’Apibo all represent la vie parisienne far more than the temples of gastronomie.

2 Likes

Yes, it was a wonderful report. And I agree that sometimes the overall experience becomes more important than the food. We sat at the bar at the Barbary in London, had wonderful conversation with our neighbors and the chefs behind the counter and we all shared a shot together at the end of the meal. Probably my best memory of our trip in May. (Food was also delicious).

1 Like

Thanks for the excellent report. It sounds as though you had a great time. Looking forward to your reports on the countryside.

1 Like

Thanks much for your enjoyable report. L’Apido is near where I’ll be staying and sounds like a delightful dinner choice. I’ve not been to Brasserie Martin but have gone to Dubillot. It was a lot of fun and will be going back again. Great value as well as engaging ambience.

Thanks to your mentioning/reviewing it, had dinner last night at L’Apibo. Will describe more when I post for my 2 weeks here but loved the place. Merci!

Thanks for your detailed reviews. You bring the restaurants to life .I just booked L’Apibo for lunch for when we are in Paris later in December.

I, too, am very interested in your experiences traveling by train in the Bordeaux and Burgundy wine regions… These are two areas that my husband have really enjoyed in the past. We have decided that at our age, driving in foreign countries is now off the table and yet are reluctant to only visit cities. Your insight into traveling by train and hiring guided would be most welcome.