Paris trip in May, Norwegian Omelette?

:joy:.

Re: cassoulet
And modeled after Cholent.

We always heard about beans coming from the New World, but there also are Old World beans.

Yes I’ve heard of the possible cholent reference, but the addition of beans (we’re talking about beans of the Phaseolus type, actually brought from the New World unlike other types of legumes like mung or azuki) didn’t happen until the 16th century. Until then, the traditional ancestor of cassoulet (a slow-cooked dish of pork and broad beans) had been made since at least Roman times. And the range of available legumes in Europe and the South Mediterranean included broad beans (fùves), lentils, chickpeas, peas or vesces (still known as fava in Greece) but no new-world beans as yet.

1 Like

Yes, agree.

I think the tradition of cooking meat and legumes together is found all over the world.

Also, the noodle and dumpling traditions. Cabbage rolls, etc.

The older I get, despite being someone who tries many obscure regional dishes, which was the reason I joined Chowhound in the first place, to seek out empanadas and Sicilian pastries in Toronto, I have become less interested in food origins or discussions about who started what.

To bring this back to Paris and France, on my trips to France, I was usually seeking out specific regional foods, or foods connected to France’s colonial past, or seasonal regional foods (Plougastel Strawberries were a revelation)

I remember getting into disagreements about Greek vs Middle Eastern baklava on Chowhound’s Toronto board. I don’t tend to do that anymore. :joy: I’m on the other side of the discussion spectrum now, telling people to throw their rule book out the window. I tend to be interested in foods more thematically, in that I will try things that belong in the same family (fougasse/focaccia/or a variation ) rather than focus on the traditional or original. Of course, whatever floats one’s boat.

2 Likes

Thank you Parn for Le Grand Vefour rec, but not loving the menu. Does anyone have any other recommendations for somewhere with special atmosphere and good food? Thanks

The menu of Le Grand VĂ©four changes weekly, maybe even more frequently. Or do you mean the style of cuisine ? Not old-fashioned enough ?

Given your trad bent, have a look at Lasserre. The style of cooking is not totally preserved in aspic but close enough for a starred restaurant. And very glam room but modern parisian elegance rather than old-school circa 1960 cutesy. Yet, lots of history. It’s not a place that much appeals to me but I am not you. https://www.restaurant-lasserre.com/fr/

We’re getting there Parn! No to Vefour. I’ve been inside (pre-Covid), met M. Martin and unfortunately my husband wasn’t feeling well so we had to leave before we started our lunch. Don’t want to rely on liking the menu du jour. As for Lasserre, what a lovely setting! And what horrible reviews I’ve been reading about the food. Any other thoughts?

Just a slight correction. It’s not a menu du jour (which implies daily specials and a “formule”/ fixed price) at Le Grand VĂ©four. It’s the entire “carte”/ menu that changes regularly.

It’s difficult because our preferences are so different. I’m not a huge fan of comfort food or restaurants that serve the same standard stuff week after week and month after month irrespective of the seasons. And cutesy trad restaurants with remarkable historic decor are mostly for tourists. If the decor, setting, and history of Le Grand VĂ©four doesn’t impress you, I don’t know what will. Maybe what you are actually looking for is just a tourist experience like Bouillon Chartier or Brasserie Floderer ex Flo or (better quality of trad food) Au Pied de Cochon.

Re Lasserre, I am not sure what reviews you are reading but your conclusion of “horrible reviews” seems to belong in an alternative universe. Yes, until a year or two ago, Lasserre was generally considered to be somewhat disappointing but the French critics and French reviewers are very impressed by recent improvements to the food at Lasserre. Although, as with every restaurant, there are a few outliers (and god knows what their motives are) but the current approval of Lasserre is pretty close to unanimous at the moment (at least in French language sites). I haven’t been in decades but my very picky and very epicurien mother was very pleased by her dinner there last week.

La Tour d’Argent is supposed to re-open this month after a long re-do. The setting with a view of Notre-Dame’s backsides is stunning, and it is one of the very few, if not only, Michelin-starred restaurants that serves a more or less trad cuisine, including a legendary pressed-duck. It’s a very plutocratic, old-farty place and definitely not my style but a rather unique and memorable experience for well-heeled foreigners, I imagine. But, at the moment, patience. It has already delayed its scheduled March re-opening and end of April now seems to be the target.

3 Likes

Thanks for hanging in with me Parn. Since you have a recent review and it passed your muster, I am reconsidering Lasserre. The room looks lovely. By any chance did your mom sample the duck l’orange? That could be a lovely farewell dinner for us. Thanks.

P.S. As for Grand Vefour, I thought the decor was regally stuffy.

I love Lasserre ! Been there since 1978ish. It has declined, from 3* to 1*, but still super special. Sent my great Aunt there last summer, and she was so happy. She was reluctant to spend on a star, but was worth it! Tasting menu w pairings is a good deal, i think. Ymmv.

2 Likes

Thank you Dan!

Thanks to the recommendation from Daniel and feedback from both Daniel and Dan, I have chosen to have that final blowout meal at Lasserre. Thanks guys!

Now as for that elusive omelette norvégienne
 I will ask the hotel concierge to see see if Auberge Bressane or its sister Aux Crus de Bourgogne is planning on serving it during our stay. Otherwise, que sera sera.

I am so looking forward to this trip. Paris is my happy place.

—Trish

1 Like

All the best!

2 Likes

When you’re in Paris (or anywhere), you could use Google Maps (or another online map) on your smartphone to locate an Omelette Norvegienne near you.

Not all the restaurants or ice cream parlours that show up on the map will have it on the current menu, but it will be a starting list. I use this function a lot when I’m in NYC, searching out relatively obscure dishes. I often use a filter to sort out the options that have less than 4 stars on Google reviews, then filter out the days and times the business is open, check the online menus to see if the dish is on the current menu, and then I’m left with a shortlist.

1 Like

Thanks bcc and Phoenikia!

1 Like

Some very good news! The concierge from our hotel called Auberge Bressane to make our reservation, and, at my request, asked if they would be serving omelette norvĂ©gienne at that time. The response was YES! This will be our first night’s dinner and what a way to start! I know this dessert is not the be all and end all
 it’s just a little thing in the scheme of life
 but it’s my little thing, so I’m very happy.

We also have a reservation at Lasserre for our final dinner.

As usual, I will write a trip report with photos. If anyone has any other tips, feel free to chime in.

Thank you for everything,

Trish

5 Likes

Once in Paris, ask the front desk to re-verify. If omelette norvégienne not being served at Auberge Bressane that night, try Aux Crus de Bourgogne. Same owners, similar menus.

And remember that omelette norvégienne is always on the menu at Mollard.

Thanks Carm, Mollard could be a Plan B, but is the food more of the metro/industrial type or fait maison?

I have no idea, and, as a Parisian (this is my famous Parn impersonation), I have to say that I generally fail to see the difference. There is a lot of badly-made fait-maison that makes some Metro stuff seem like a better deal, so it can be tricky to really tell these things apart. A glimpse into the garbage bins at the back of the restaurant is usually the way to get the answer.

Yesterday I was at a branch of Brasserie Ninkasi in Lyon, and everything was “fait maison”, but the food would probably have been much better if it had been ‘industrial’. Cooking “fait maison” never meant that the maison cooked well.

Mollard is a big traditional brasserie and the food there was never anything to write home about. But the Art Nouveau mosaics and mirrors setting setting is just wonderful and there’s the guarantee that omelette norvĂ©gienne will always been on the menu, as it’s been since the brasserie opened, I suppose. That’s why I mentioned it, since the original question was about omelette norvĂ©gienne. I suppose it would be safer to order simple things on the menu (stay away from the complicated dishes) and go there for the omelette norvĂ©gienne which is actually quite decent.

1 Like