[Paris] Traditional in 11th

I can use a recco for a traditional resto in the 11th or nearby. I know the 11th is rather large but I dont want to limit. In this case, atmosphere is important. Something that says welcome to Paris, even though it wont be our first night. Aux Bons Crus will most likely be the first night (slim pickings Sunday). Maybe a bouillon? Chez Paul?

We’ve eaten at Bistro Paul Bert a few times and liked it. I think you have to call for reservations.

1 Like

I’m not sure what’s considered “traditional”, but here are 3 very different places to consider, all in the area and all places that we’ve enjoyed (for different reasons):

and, as you say, Aux Bons Crus

1 Like

Grande Brasserie,
Picotte,
Jouvence
Au Fil des Saisons,
Les Canailles MĂ©nilmontant

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Thanks. Grande Brasserie is another one I’m considering. Curious which of the bunch got a great beef tartare

Sorry, I’ll have leave that to others to answer.

I was checking out the menus and my eye fell on the beef tartare by Grande Brasserie
 I’ve just checked the other menus, and from the restaurants listed above the only other one serving beef tartare is Au Fil des Saisons, but theirs is Italian style with pesto and parmesan cheese.

Of these 2 I’d pick Grande Brasserie, because it looks the most traditional. An Italian beef tartare with pesto is not Italian imho, and a big no no. I’ve had many beef tartares in Italy and usually they are very sparsely dressed
 It’s all about the beef!

I’ve not been since Covid but one of my favorite places in that area for steak tartar was CafĂ© des MusĂ©es. The first time I was there probably 15 years ago. We were having lunch. This very chic looking couple comes in and sit across from us. They both ordered the steak tartar with frites. The waiter brings their plates and they each picked up a little pitcher with the dressing and poured it on to the pile of hand chopped meat and dug in. I then sadly looked at my plate and resolved the next time I was going to order the tartar. However looking at the on line menu I don’t see it.

But I know that every time I’ve been there it was available.

1 Like

For boeuf tartare, maybe l’Aubergeade on rue Chaligny in the 12th. It’s a bit of a relic, somewhat old-farty vibe and clientele, but totally authentic and “dans son jus”. Special mention for the bone marrow. And they can do the tartare either classic or “aller-retour”/ very quickly seared which I like a lot because it gives the tartare a new texture dimension.

1 Like

I love tartare de boeuf - actually made it tonight at home, using hand cut organic beef from a local butcher. It’s a difficult dish to prepare, because proportions of the ingredients are key. So, typically, I like home made best.

But when eating out I do sometimes order it, especially in Paris and Italy. In Paris because I like frites (which I do not make at home, too much fuss) and in Italy because their beef is extraordinary.

In Paris, I’ve had tartare last year at Le Recamier and at La Rotonde. Liked the one at La Rotonde better.

1 Like

I never order beef tartare in France, but I agree, in Italy it is extraordinary and I do enjoy it there.

1 Like

Great stuff everyone. The tartare pics of Grande Brasserie actually prompted the Tartare question.

I also like the look of L’Aubergeade. But I see they are bringing the Tartare with the ingredients separated. Does that mean I need to show off my mad mixing skills or the waiter does it?

If they bring a ‘deconstructed’ tartare it can either be the waiter mixing at the table, or you are supposed to mix it yourself.

If the latter, you have to be experienced in knowing how much of each ingredient you like. Things like shallots, cornichons, capers, tabasco, olive oil, worcester sauce, and salt. The mixing itself isn’t hard. But get one quantity wrong, and your dish is subpar.

I prefer if the restaurant brings out a finished tartare.

I suppose you could mix it yourself. But why ? It’s much more common to let the very experienced waiter prepare it for you at the table

My father used to borrow my grandmothers meat grinder to make it at home for special occasions. It seems it was not a good idea to just buy some ground beef and eat it raw at the time. Not too long ago, Paris was a tartare mecca where you could find great or very good tartare at most places where it was offered, but it seems less so now. The self mix, deconstructed tartare accounts for the varying tastes of the eater. Some like less or more of this or that in the mix.

1 Like

My butcher uses two knives, one in each hand, to manually cut the beef. I think the English name of rhe cut I buy is top round steak. It’s around 40-45 euro per kilogram. So, one portion is around 10-12 euro. I will always eat the raw meat on the same day as it is cut to ensure freshness.

1 Like

I think my father used what is called London Broil in the States. It was very lean. I will call him and ask, since he turns 84 today and I must call in any case.

I’ve eaten fairly recently (like in the last year) at CafĂ© des MusĂ©e, and it was awful. Was pretty bad the time before when I ate there, but like @BKeats, I enjoyed it so much when I first ate there back when it was great. I won’t try again.

I have not had the boeuf tartare at Grande Brasserie, but I’ve eaten other things there and find it a competent restaurant. And the profiteroles are exceptional.

Amarante is open on Sunday night
lots of strong opinions here on H.O., but what it does, it does exceptionally well (and to me does say, welcome to Paris). Also open Monday nights.

L’Assiette (not in your neighborhood) is also open Sunday night. I’ve just never had a bad meal there, no tartare (definitely says welcome to Paris, IMO)–closed Mon., Tues.