[Paris] Some thinking about our last meals and French food scene

Ippudo doesn’t seem to have much lines. Hakata Choten is husband’s first choice for ramen. The broth was rich and fat, good but quite difficult for digestion (at least for me).

Are all the broths at Kodawari fish-based? What about the “secret” sauce?

A brief look at both on Google maps seems to indicate that Ippudo offers chairs with backs, and Kodari doesn’t. In that case we would choose Ippudo.

No, all chicken based.

From their website (translated from French) :
“All our broths are made on the spot with high quality yellow farm chickens from Landes.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRto5S2A2xm/

So what’s the dashi de coquillages bretons?

Brittany seashell dashi. Yes, it is used in 2 ramen. I believe it is mixing chicken broth with the seafood dashi. I had one of the bowl, didn’t feel it was 100% “fish” based broth. (But I can be wrong!)

“BOUILLON ÉPAIS” - thick broth was really good.

I found Septime to be pretty underwhelming. Nothing wrong with the dishes, but just not a lot of magic for a place that has gotten all the attention thanks to W50B and all that.

I don’t remember what I had eaten there. Like you, it was not bad, nothing memorable though. Maybe there was a smoked potato with hay or something like that I liked, but I think it was more an idea taking shape than something substantial and solid dish and it was such a small portion. Actually I remember more how the place looked like, in the toilet it had a nice view towards a very nice inner garden courtyard and how I like the sage smell of the Aesop soap! LOL.

In Paris, there are a lot of places a bit experimental like Septime.

Do you mind sharing the restaurants you enjoyed in Paris?

In Paris we liked most of the places we went to. For me the preference ranked something like:

Passage53
Neige d’Ete
Le Baratin
Au Passage
Clown Bar
Septime

Le Meurice was CRAP.

My 2 dinners at Passage 53 were both excellent. I took the wine pairing with my second meal there, the meal was sublime. I have yet to try Neige d’Été.

@bcc I know you like Japanese influenced French food, I have to say between Montée and Passage 53, the latter won, the experience was of another level, at least for me.

Which era was it, Alléno or Ducasse? What was wrong with the meal?

I was just there in July. Dishes were uninspiring. They overcooked the veal chop and refused to admit it. I’m just never going back there.

Wow, this is something I’m going to have to check out. Merci!

I just read your post. Veal is not considered as red meat but white meat here. Normally in France, you eat it “rosé” (pink) and not bleu (rare). But veal tartare, you eat it raw, so go figure. I think the waiters should have explained better than just do it in their way to impose.

1 Like

An Asian female pâtissière comes out pushing an ice cream trolley, and offers us a pre-dessert of lemon sorbet, lemon espuma, lemon granité, and lemon zest. W-T-F. I know it’s made from lemon and I should expect some acidity, but the espuma was so fucking sour that I was wincing uncontrollably. I don’t remember having tasted anything so sour… and this put Sour Patch Kids to shame.

Cedric Grolet is in charge of patisserie of le Meurice, so expect it acid. Not the same dessert, but similar to the lime dessert I had.

I had Cedric Grolet’s Rubiks’ cake, tarte au pommes, and 2 of his fruits a week earlier. Those were not nearly as acidic as my lemon pre-dessert. Not even the cubes which were lemon-flavored. In fact, I cannot recall ever eating anything as acidic as that in my entire life.

Your dessert looks like the half of a real lemon, so he served you “real” lemon taste. This was his concept, I read somewhere.

For EUR 100 without supplement, I thought this was a pretty damn good meal. It’s not better than Passage53 but it’s half the price.

1 Like

We ate at Neige d’Été a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much.

@bcc
I saw on the site of Passage 53, the lunch menu is at 120€, compared to the dinner. My both experience was dinner but it was before they raised the price.

I, too, looked at the prices. If we go, it will most likely be for lunch.