[Paris] Some thinking about our last meals and French food scene

Curious, what are the restaurants on your list this year?

I don’t actually have a list of places we have to go to. And we have friends in Paris, so where we go has to be coordinated with them. But I’d love to return to L’Arcane and Montée. Perhaps return to Alliance. My wife loves sandwiches, so we’re interested in CheZaline and Bagnard, which you recommended. Condesa looks very attractive. And I like the Franco-Japanese style, so I’m looking at Automne, Le Petit Keller, Kei, Les Enfants Rouges, Abri, Kokoro, Toyo, L’Auberge du 15, Le Kigawa. And since I love dim sum, Tricotin, which we’ve never made it to. Since we stay in the 5th, Baieta. It is NOT my intention to eat in all these places. But they are the ones I’m thinking of at the moment.

Any thoughts?

Forget Tricotin, I had one or two meals there, not too memorable. As tourist with precisious time, shouldn’t waste one opportunity to eat there. I have heard good things about Taokan and Chez Vong. Personally I haven’t been, so I can’t confirm.

Now you mentioned sandwich, husband loves it, maybe I will see if he wants to eat in the few good places. Strange, I thought copious sandwich was a male thing.

Strange about Tricotin. It’s one of the places that Chowhound’s Ptitpois is especially fond of. Up to now the best Chinese dumplings we’ve had in Paris were at Raviolis Chinois in the 13th. Raviolis Chinois Nord Est in the 10th was much less good. Of course, I’m looking forward to Great Shanghai Cafe in Manhattan.

I know, she usually has very good recommendations, except Tricotin. They seem to do one of two dishes she liked, duck tongue or something like that.

Chez Vong was recommended by my Hong Kong friends (they invited their parents there), a bit pricely.

Someone recommended Chinatown Olympiades in a thread in Chowhound. We went last year, and I thought it was terrible.

If you dislike Olympiades, Tricotin is kind of the same range. If you live here and has desperate craving for Chinese food, it’s another story. LOL

I must say, Chinese food improves a lot in the last 2 years in Paris.

Thanks. I’ll take your advice.

21G Dumpling is better than the 2 places in the 13th you have mentioned, for example.

I am in search of good dim sum too.

Well, I didn’t say Raviolis Chinois was really good. I said it was the best I had had in Paris. And the one in the 13th was much better than the one in the 10th.

But I’m looking forward to 21G.

I think I will try Raviolis in the 13th…

Do you read Chinese? If yes, this site might be useful for you.

http://www.newsavour.com/restaurants/

I’ll be interested to know what you think. And if you ever get to Berlin, definitely try Wok Show, a great place that @linguafood sent us to.

2 Likes

No, sadly.

FYI chef Yoshinori Morié has quitted Auberge du 15 and started his restaurant Yoshinori in Saint Germain 6e end 2017.

Thanks, I took a look at the place. Funnily enough both Heidi Ellison and John Talbott complained that the main courses were too big. And right next door is Ippudo, another place I’d like to try.

The doggy bag story of Ellison was so funny. I wonder too why they were so upset.
As for Talbott’s 10 € problem, I often see additional charges on sweetbread dishes, I just checked quickly the price for raw, it is around 50€ for 500g, more expensive than entrecôte.

Well, Talbott and his eating companion just didn’t like the place.

Among all the ramen I had tried, I like Kodawari Ramen (6 rue Mazarine 6e) the best, very good broth, but you need to go either early or late to avoid the queue. I like Ippudo too, if you are planning to have dinner, note that the Louvre branch offers more choices for starters at night. The République branch has only chicken broth ramen, no pork broth.

Last year we had some good ramen at Hakata Choten. The line was very short, and we got in with only a 10-minute wait. The nice thing about Ippudo in the 6th is that if the wait is too long, there are a number of good places in the area for oysters.