[Paris] Some thinking about our last meals and French food scene

My 2 dinners at Passage 53 were both excellent. I took the wine pairing with my second meal there, the meal was sublime. I have yet to try Neige d’Été.

@bcc I know you like Japanese influenced French food, I have to say between Montée and Passage 53, the latter won, the experience was of another level, at least for me.

Which era was it, Alléno or Ducasse? What was wrong with the meal?

I was just there in July. Dishes were uninspiring. They overcooked the veal chop and refused to admit it. I’m just never going back there.

Wow, this is something I’m going to have to check out. Merci!

I just read your post. Veal is not considered as red meat but white meat here. Normally in France, you eat it “rosé” (pink) and not bleu (rare). But veal tartare, you eat it raw, so go figure. I think the waiters should have explained better than just do it in their way to impose.

1 Like

An Asian female pâtissière comes out pushing an ice cream trolley, and offers us a pre-dessert of lemon sorbet, lemon espuma, lemon granité, and lemon zest. W-T-F. I know it’s made from lemon and I should expect some acidity, but the espuma was so fucking sour that I was wincing uncontrollably. I don’t remember having tasted anything so sour… and this put Sour Patch Kids to shame.

Cedric Grolet is in charge of patisserie of le Meurice, so expect it acid. Not the same dessert, but similar to the lime dessert I had.

I had Cedric Grolet’s Rubiks’ cake, tarte au pommes, and 2 of his fruits a week earlier. Those were not nearly as acidic as my lemon pre-dessert. Not even the cubes which were lemon-flavored. In fact, I cannot recall ever eating anything as acidic as that in my entire life.

Your dessert looks like the half of a real lemon, so he served you “real” lemon taste. This was his concept, I read somewhere.

For EUR 100 without supplement, I thought this was a pretty damn good meal. It’s not better than Passage53 but it’s half the price.

1 Like

We ate at Neige d’Été a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much.

@bcc
I saw on the site of Passage 53, the lunch menu is at 120€, compared to the dinner. My both experience was dinner but it was before they raised the price.

I, too, looked at the prices. If we go, it will most likely be for lunch.

Lovely meal, thanks for sharing. I like the tartare dish, the poulpe looked good too.

Has anybody ever been to la Condesa in Paris 9? What do you think of it?

We haven’t been yet, but are planning to go in November.

Beat you! We will be going in October. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

So I’ll be eager to read what you thought!

Although a bit of hesitation between la Condesa, l’Arcane in the 18e and Mumi in 1er.

We were less enchanted with La Condesa during/after our second visit. Food seemed to have less soul/ethnic foundation and more simply good/decent modern French. Clientele almost all American if not all.

L’Arcane has more of the chef “on the plate” with adorable personal service.

This I agreed, good modern French, the ethnic side was there but not very evident. Since I only ate once, couldn’t compared. Food were good, but no wow effect.

We reserved our table at 19h30, the place was rather empty with 2 - 3 tables of tourists (American) on Saturday night, the (young) French arrived after 21h.