[Paris] short trip report

Thanks to everyone that helped me finalize my itinerary.

Chantoiseau: Went here first night and it was fabulous! Great service and great food. The walk up from the metro was a lot of stairs though. The sea bream carpaccio starter was light and fresh with passion fruit and a cauliflower puree that was delish! The foie gras and duck pie was a great main with deep rich flavor and a beautiful presentation to boot! With a ending of a fabulous meringue that was to die for!

L’ami Jean: Great food and atmosphere! Loved the razor clams starter with a fragrant and light broth that had loads of umami! The mains of fish of the day which was seabass and the braised veal were outstanding! And the rice pudding was a great ending as well!

Granite: Decided to go for the 75 euro lunch and loved the whole experience of the restaurant with very eager and enthusiastic staff and friendly chefs at the chef’s table area who were willing to interact with the patrons. Although I did not enjoy the food as much as everyone at my table felt almost all the dishes from the amuse bouches, the starters, and mains were oversalted. The desert course was a saving grace with an excellent pear and coffee dessert. I noticed during my visit that every chef tastes test every sauce before it reaches the ate but to my palate everything was too strong and unbalanced. I told the team about the salt level and they told me because they prepped everything in advance and that it would be too late to make any changes to any course which I understand but wish this issue could be further accommodated. While I appreciate the service and delightful chefs and team, I am unsure to recommend it for now. The kitchen has high potential so I hope that they can improve soon.

Overall the ranking goes L’ami Jean> Chantoiseau > Granite. Thanks for reading

7 Likes

Many thanks for reporting back. As you probably learned, 3 days is never enough in Paris.

Tolerance to saltiness is, I suspect, one of main reasons why everyone’s palate is different. I’m at the other end of the spectrum and indeed always carry around a little plastic bag of fleur de sel to fix what I consider under-salting by chefs. But at least I have a solution but those very sensitive to saltiness have none.

1 Like