Paris -- John Talbott

Oblituary from SUN.

John A. Talbott, psychiatry chair at the University of Maryland and food blogger, dies

University of Maryland psychiatrist spent vacations in Paris and wrote reviews of restaurants

Dr. John Talbott wrote about restaurants in a self-published guide distributed by mail.

Dr. John Talbott wrote about restaurants in a self-published guide distributed by mail.

John A. Talbott, the University of Maryland’s department of psychiatry chair who was also a Parisian food blogger, died of a cardiac condition Nov. 29 at his Tuscany-Canterbury home. He was 88.

Dr. Talbott had been a professor of psychiatry at the University of Maryland since 1985 and had earlier taught at Columbia, Cornell and New York universities.

Born in Boston, he was the son of Dr. John H. Talbott, a former Journal of the American Medical Association editor, and Mildred Cherry, a nurse.

He attended the Nichols School in Buffalo and earned a degree at Harvard College, where he was a Harvard Lampoon staff member. He received a medical degree at what was then Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons and was yearbook editor.

While living in New York, he met his future wife, Susan Webster, at the Metropolitan Opera House. They were in line for standing room places at the performance.

He trained at the Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, the old Presbyterian Hospital-New York State Psychiatric Institute and the Columbia University Center for Psychoanalytic Training and Research.

Dr. Talbott served as an Army captain in Vietnam from 1967 to 1968. While there, his base was overrun during the Tête Offensive

“While in Vietnam he saw many puzzling cases of soldiers who became psychotic after smoking what they thought was pure marijuana,” his wife said. “He and several reporters who were familiar with the effects of smoking marijuana in the U.S. were suspicious and he sent a sample to be analyzed to his father, then editor of the Journal of the American Medical Association, which culminated in his being threatened with a court martial.”

“The Army reconsidered the court marshal and awarded him a Bronze Star,” his wife said.

He became an advocate for Vietnam veterans with post-traumatic stress symptoms.

He participated in Vietnam Vets Against the War and was its press spokesman at the 1968 Chicago Democratic National Convention, which he attended.

He participated with a group of veterans, mental health professionals and others in a project assessing combat veterans, non-combat veterans and resisters/objectors that became the “Legacies of Vietnam” report.

In 1978 he published “The Death of the Asylum: A Critical Study of the State Hospital” that railed against putting patients onto the streets.

“This great plan to provide community based care to mentally ill people was not funded well,” said his wife of the aftereffects of the asylum closures.

Dr. Talbott moved to Baltimore in 1985 when he was named chair of the University of Maryland’s department of psychiatry.

Dr. Talbott wrote more than 200 books, chapters and articles that focused on the care of the mentally ill, mental health services and mental illness in disadvantaged populations.

He wrote about the homeless, Vietnam War veterans and people who abused drugs and alcohol.

Dr. Talbott’s work that focused attention on the poor care rendered to the chronic mentally ill earned him awards from the American Psychiatric Association, National Alliance for the Mentally Ill and the Mental Health Association of Manhattan and the Bronx.

He was a past president of the American Psychiatric Association, among other professional organizations.

He also was editor in chief of Psychiatric Quarterly, Psychiatric Services and the Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease.

In 2000 he stepped down as the psychiatry chair and worked on a University of Maryland initiative to bring more compassion to interactions between doctors and patients.

Dr. Talbott was also a French food critic. He began visiting France in 1953 as part of the cross-cultural Experiment in International Living. He enjoyed travel throughout the country and owned a small apartment in Paris, where he and his wife spent vacations and two sabbaticals.

“We lived north of Montmartre, down the hill, on a market street, Rue du Poteau, where there were once three horse meat shops,” said his wife. “Our favorite cuisine was French but that didn’t mean we didn’t love other cuisines as well.”

Around 1985 he began writing about restaurants in a self-published guide distributed by mail and in 2000 wrote for eGullet, Bonjour Paris and Chowhound.

In 2006 he began his own blog, John Talbott’s Paris. He chronicled his daily lunchtime restaurant meals and helped gain recognition for young chefs.

Survivors include his wife of 62 years, Susan Webster Talbott, a psychiatric and public health nurse; two daughters, Sieglinde Talbott Peterson, of Greenbelt, and Alexandra Talbott Morrel, of Baltimore; a sister, Cherry Talbott, of Austin, Texas; and six grandchildren.
No funeral is planned…

23 Likes

Baltimore Sun

2 Likes

Parigi, thanks for sharing this. What a fabulous obituary about an amazing person, celebrating a full life well lived.

4 Likes

Actually, it’s one of the best obits I’ve read from a major news source. It paints a great picture of JT’s long dedication to his career as one of Psychiatry’s outstanding practitioners/educators. When I returned to NYC in '81, JT was still here and railing about the way that deinstitutionalization had been handled. HIs (loud) respected voice (among others) paved the way for my entire career, as I was then hired by the NYS Office of Mental Health to be part of a new outreach team whose task was to go out to the shelters, streets, subways, parks, etc and find those who had been “lost” & to try to reconnect them to mental health &/or substance abuse services. JT left NYC for Baltimore and I continued my own career, bumping into him during his professional consultations in NYC (& his media interviews). Before my own retirement, I wound up as Exec. Dir. of the same facility JT had clinically supervised many years earlier. All this was conversation fodder during our Paris lunches after we realized, on CH and then on eGullet, who we each were. JT (& his voice) will be sorely missed. My best to Susan.

16 Likes

Steve R. — very interesting, and well said. And speaking of “voice” — not only does the obituary reflect Dr. John, but I hear Sue’s actual voice as the narrator. Clearly, she had input. So well done.

4 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

Indeed my husband and I ooh-ed and ah-ed reading the obit. Hell of a life.

As for Viet Nam (that’s how John always wrote it), I have noticed he was much marked by his experience there.
In our first meal together, he actualled cried talking about he loss of his friends that he witnessed there.

I encouraged him to go back to Vietnam.
He said “never !”
I was heartened to see that years later he and his family actually spent a xmas holiday in Indochina. I hope it helped him start to gain a sense of balance, if not closure.

10 Likes

Thanks for sharing this @Parigi. Although I never met Dr. Talbott IRL, as a fellow mental health practitioner I certainly knew some of this, but by no means all. It was new to me, though not surprising for example, that he was Lampoon editor. His humanity, humor and honest opinions have touched many.

3 Likes

Dear loyal readers of John Talbott’s Paris. This is Colette. I am so grateful for everyone’s kind words about John. I want to assure you that his family was with him and that he died peacefully at home with the support of hospice nurses. John loved food and dining and making so many new friends over the years. We miss him and yet we are glad for all the wonderful years we had with him. I welcome any stories you want to share.

31 Likes

I would have loved to have met the two of you during a visit to Paris.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

All of us have consulted the “Colette list” one time or another. As we are grateful to John, we are also grateful to Colette.

5 Likes

Indeed! Those places on that list were the “tried and true” Paris restaurants to which Dr. John took “Colette”/Sue. Always among the most solid of choices.

1 Like

Vale, Dr. Talbott. I remember reading his charming, dry, and always helpful posts dating back from eGullet. His blog was delightful, and I consulted it before any trip to Paris. May he rest in peace.

1 Like

So sorry to hear of John’s passing. As a writer, journalist and food enthusiast, I totally admired his blog. Concise and erudite, John wrote with passion and humor, and his recommendations were outstanding. His insight into the Traveller’s Menu at Le Train Bleu convinced my husband and I to give it a whirl. It was a wonderful meal and experience. Following Covid, I had hoped to treat John to lunch there as a thank you. While that didn’t happen, his writings will always have a place in my heart.

3 Likes

The obit: Wow, just, wow…

1 Like

For those who have access, here’s today’s New York Times obituary (with two photos) of Dr. John: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/09/us/dr-john-a-talbott-dead.html

And in case it’s blocked for some, here’s the text:

Dr. John A. Talbott, Champion of Care for the Mentally Ill, Dies at 88

A psychiatrist and a prolific author, he criticized what he referred to as a “nonsystem” that left vulnerable people on the streets to fend for themselves.

By Trip Gabriel

Dec. 9, 2023, 5:04 p.m. ET

Dr. John A. Talbott, a psychiatrist who championed the care of vulnerable populations of the mentally ill, especially the homeless — many of whom were left to fend for themselves in the nation’s streets, libraries, bus terminals and jails after mass closures of state mental hospitals — died on Nov. 29 at his home in Baltimore. He was 88.

His wife, Susan Talbott, confirmed the death.

Dr. Talbott was an early backer of a movement known as deinstitutionalization, which pushed to replace America’s decrepit mental hospitals with community-based treatment. But he became one of the movement’s most powerful critics after a lack of money and political will stranded thousands of the deeply disturbed without proper care.

“The chronic mentally ill patient had his locus of living and care transferred from a single lousy institution to multiple wretched ones,” Dr. Talbott wrote in the journal Hospital and Community Psychiatry in 1979.

In a career of more than 60 years, Dr. Talbott held many of the leading positions in his field. He was president of the American Psychiatric Association; director of a large urban mental hospital, Dunlap-Manhattan Psychiatric Center, on Wards Island; chairman of the department of psychiatry at the University of Maryland, Baltimore; and editor of three prominent journals: Psychiatric Quarterly, Psychiatric Services and The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease — which he was editing at his death.

Dr. Talbott exerted influence not as a researcher of the brain or neurological drugs but as a hospital leader, an academic and a member of blue-ribbon panels — including President Jimmy Carter’s Commission on Mental Health — and, especially, through prolific writings. A clear and muscular polemicist, he wrote, edited or contributed to more than 50 books.

“I admired him for taking the directorship of Manhattan State Hospital and his belief that psychiatrists should take the hard jobs and not just do private practice on the Upper West Side,” Dr. E. Fuller Torrey, a prominent psychiatrist and the founder of the Treatment Advocacy Center in Arlington, Va., said in an email.

In 1984, during Dr. Talbott’s presidency, the American Psychiatric Association released its first major study of the homeless mentally ill. The study found that the practice of discharging patients from state hospitals into ill-prepared communities was “a major societal tragedy.”

“Hardly a section of the country, urban or rural, has escaped the ubiquitous presence of ragged, ill and hallucinating human beings, wandering through our city streets, huddled in alleyways or sleeping over vents,” the report said. It estimated that up to 50 percent of homeless people had chronic mental illnesses.

Six years earlier, Dr. Talbott had published a book, “The Death of the Asylum,” which railed against both the broken system of state hospitals and the broken policies that replaced them.

In an interview with The New York Times in 1984, he acknowledged that psychiatrists who had championed community-based treatment as an alternative to institutions, including himself, bore part of the blame.

“The psychiatrists involved in the policymaking at that time certainly oversold community treatment, and our credibility today is probably damaged because of it,” he said.

In an account of Dr. Talbott’s career submitted to a medical journal after his death, a former colleague, Dr. Allen Frances, wrote, “Few people have ever had so distinguished a career as Dr. Talbott, but perhaps none has ever had a more frustrating and disappointing one.”

Dr. Frances, the chairman emeritus of the department of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Duke University, explained in an interview that Dr. Talbott had been a leader in the field of “community psychiatry,” which held that mental illness was influenced by social conditions — not just a biological disposition — and that treatments required taking into account a patient’s living conditions and the range of services available.

Community psychiatry was supposed to be the alternative for patients no longer warehoused in run-down, often abusive state hospitals. A new generation of drugs held promise that patients could live at least semi-independently.

“They were working hard to get psychiatry to be less stodgy, less biological, less psychoanalytical and more socially and community oriented,” Dr. Frances said of Dr. Talbott and others who championed community psychiatry.

But the high hopes for robust outpatient treatment in community settings were never adequately realized. The Community Mental Health Act, a 1963 law championed by President John F. Kennedy, envisioned 2,000 community mental health centers by 1980. Fewer than half that many had been opened by then, as funding failed to materialize or was diverted elsewhere.

At the same time, deinstitutionalization cut the number of patients in state hospitals by 75 percent, to fewer than 140,000 in 1980 from 560,000 in 1955.

“The disaster occurred because our mental health delivery system is not a system but a nonsystem,” Dr. Talbott wrote in 1979.

John Andrew Talbott was born on Nov. 8, 1935, in Boston. His mother, Mildred (Cherry) Talbott, was a homemaker. His father, Dr. John Harold Talbott, was a professor of medicine and an editor of The Journal of the American Medical Association.

In 1961, Dr. Talbott married Susan Webster, who had a career as a nurse and hospital administrator, after the couple met during intermission at the Metropolitan Opera in New York.

Along with his wife, Dr. Talbott is survived by two daughters, Sieglinde Peterson and Alexandra Morrel; six grandchildren; and a sister, Cherry Talbott.

He graduated from Harvard College in 1957 and received his M.D. from the Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1961. He did further training at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital/New York State Psychiatric Institute and the Columbia University Center for Psychoanalytic Training and Research.

Drafted during the Vietnam War, he served as a captain in the Medical Corps in Vietnam in 1967 and 1968. He received a Bronze Star for persuading troops to take their malaria pills.

“The reason they weren’t taking them was because a case of malaria was a ticket home,” he later explained. “Then I scared the hell out of them by showing them examples of what malaria could lead to.”

Once he was home, Dr. Talbott became active in the antiwar movement. He was a spokesman for Vietnam Veterans Against the War at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago. The next year he helped organize a protest at Riverside Church in Manhattan in which the names of soldiers killed in Vietnam were read aloud by a procession of speakers, including Edward I. Koch, Leonard Bernstein and Lauren Bacall.

After retiring as chairman of psychiatry at the University of Maryland in 2000 after 15 years, Dr. Talbott indulged a lifelong appreciation for fine dining by contributing to online food sites. In 2006, he began a blog, John Talbott’s Paris, in which he chronicled meals he ate on frequent visits to the French capital.

Trip Gabriel is a national correspondent. He covered the past two presidential campaigns and has served as the Mid-Atlantic bureau chief and a national education reporter. He formerly edited the Styles sections. He joined The Times in 1994.

12 Likes

And here’s a gift link for the obit. I generated it from my account and it’s not copied from someone else’s gift to me. I have no idea how often it will work.

8 Likes

Another wow. Learned even more about him. Thanks, Jake.

1 Like

Below is a tribute from Heidi Ellison of Paris Update. The Baltimore Sun obit to which she refers is copied in its entirety in one of the above posts.
" Dear Readers,
Paris food lovers will be greatly distressed to hear that a good friend, food blogger extraordinaire John Talbott, passed away last week. When he used to fly from his home in Baltimore to Paris, which he did often, for a month at a time, he could be found every single day at a different restaurant promptly at 12:30 PM, ready to dine with a friend or two and, if she was in town, his wife Sue (a.k.a. Colette, her pseudonym in his column). After lunch, he would go straight home and write up his critique of the restaurant on Chowhound, eGullet or his own blog, [John Talbott’s Paris.) John was much more than a foodie and a blogger, however – see his from the Baltimore Sun for details of his fascinating career as a psychiatrist, writer and campaigner for Vietnam vets and people with mental illnesses – but he loved nothing more than a good meal in a French restaurant. Bon appétit, John. We’ll miss you.

13 Likes