Paris (and London, Amsterdam, Bruges, and Brussels ) in September

For Sunday lunch after your Louvre visit, assuming you want to stay within easy walking distance, Aux Crus de Bourgogne in the second should fit your dining requirements. It also has outdoor seating should the weather be nice. La Robe et Le Palais would be another option. I used to recommend Baltard au Louvre, but a couple of visits this year were disappointing and have led me to suspect that they may be having problems finding sufficient staff.

2 Likes

Thank you! I don’t know how current it is, but I was able to find a menu on line. I know I have Robe et Le Palais on my list to check out, but I don’t know how far I’ve gotten.

Loup is across from Baltard au Louvre, has burgers on the menu, really good frites (not from frozen), and I had a totally serviceable lunch there, not fancy, in late March with no reservation, if you get stuck.

1 Like

Just send instructions to your hotel concierge and let them make the rezzies for you.

And a lot of us European speak English, especially in the tourism industry. All you need to do is learn a few stock phrases on YouTube and never forget to greet waiters, shop workers, bus drivers, taxi drivers, etc etc with a cheery and properly pronounced “bonjour” (before 5pm) or “bonsoir” after 5pm. And don’t expect waiters, etc to become your new best friend like in the USA… respectful politeness and a certain formality with strangers are the norm in France. And no tipping please… France, Belgium, and the Netherlands are no tipping cultures. The UK is an exception.

1 Like

For lunch after the Louvre, another suggestion (if the weather is good): Maison-Maison, a riverside resto on the lower quai of the Quai du Louvre just off the Pont-Neuf… The modern French/ Med cuisine could be a wee bit challenging for Mr Lowest Common Denominator but the younger ones will love the trendy ambiance and buzz. All will enjoy the Seine-side setting. https://www.maisonmaison.fr/

2 Likes

It appears that La Robe et Le Palais is not currently open on Sundays, another casualty of the labor shortage.

1 Like

What is your typical pour boire ? Just rounding up?

1 Like

Sorry @Phoenikia for delay. Am on hols. Yes, usually round up. But, if it’s a resto I really like, I sometimes leave a 5 or 10€ bribe (with a business card) for good treatment/ a good table the next time. Just depends on the vibes with waiter and maître d’.

1 Like

Practicing!

Good to know! Thanks.

I have nothing to offer for Paris, but I was going to suggest what @damiano already did re: seeking out Indonesian in Amsterdam. One of my favorite meals was a Dutch-Indonesian place (whose name I cannot remember unfortunately). My home is not strong on Indonesian food, so this was a treat. What was popular at the restaurant was what was posted - the “rice table” option. It comes with a large variety of little dishes -a bit too much for me, as I was traveling by myself, so I couldn’t order that. :frowning: Amsterdam is such a pretty city, and if you love museums, the Rijksmuseum and the van Gogh Museums are musts! One of my favorite places to walk around the city all day.

I’ve only been to Brussels and if you love chocolate, it’s a chocolate lover’s dream city. The food otherwise was not the most interesting for me, but the Belgian waffles and frites of course were very nice. You can find perfectly good meals at nice restaurants, but we found booking them to be a bit confounding as a coworker did not speak French or Dutch; I think my colleagues were more impressed by the beer (and chocolates) than the food itself. We looked for authentic Belgian food and it reminded us a lot of German food (not in a good way). :laughing: Heavy on the meats and potatoes. I actually had far better and more memorable German meals than I had memorable Belgian meals. For fun, I would have said visit Viva M’Bomba (known for their offal) in Brussels, but alas they closed due to COVID. Beautiful city though to visit!

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say we love restaurants but we do have plans to visit those two!
In Brussels there will be a "special guided culinary walking tour where you can taste local flavors. …beer parlors, typical cafes, waffle shops, chocolate making studios, delicatessen and more! :grin:

2 Likes

Ooops! I meant "I wouldn’t say we love museums. Restaurants on the mind. We love reestaurants! …Just not the same menus.

1 Like

Our two favorite restaurants in Paris are Alliance and Montée. Both have Japanese chefs. Both are highly recommended.

1 Like

Last night

Today, we are at Le Nemours, after the Louvre.

7 Likes

We did that one!

9 Likes

Tonight was
Brasserie du Louvre
All good!
French Onion soup, salade lyonnaise, filet and roasted potatoes, Poulet de Bresse, that chef who judged on “Top Chef ?” ( ha ha!)

8 Likes

Reservation tonight, but only two of us going.

Ceviche ( octopus, shrimp, sea bream, avacado). Also mango, which I really enjoyed.

Butternut squash soup. Husband says “nutty, not too sweet, smooth. Very good.”

Also, we enjoyed our walking tour of St Germain, not just food, and didn’t really notice the closures.

Not in order.

7 Likes

For mains husband had beef bourg. “Wonderful”

I had a filet, both with potatoes dauphine…I think. Okay; crispy potato slices.

9 Likes

Nice pics. Thanks. You’re not doing badly at all! Continue, please,

2 Likes