Paris (and London, Amsterdam, Bruges, and Brussels ) in September

Good to know! Thanks.

I have nothing to offer for Paris, but I was going to suggest what @damiano already did re: seeking out Indonesian in Amsterdam. One of my favorite meals was a Dutch-Indonesian place (whose name I cannot remember unfortunately). My home is not strong on Indonesian food, so this was a treat. What was popular at the restaurant was what was posted - the “rice table” option. It comes with a large variety of little dishes -a bit too much for me, as I was traveling by myself, so I couldn’t order that. :frowning: Amsterdam is such a pretty city, and if you love museums, the Rijksmuseum and the van Gogh Museums are musts! One of my favorite places to walk around the city all day.

I’ve only been to Brussels and if you love chocolate, it’s a chocolate lover’s dream city. The food otherwise was not the most interesting for me, but the Belgian waffles and frites of course were very nice. You can find perfectly good meals at nice restaurants, but we found booking them to be a bit confounding as a coworker did not speak French or Dutch; I think my colleagues were more impressed by the beer (and chocolates) than the food itself. We looked for authentic Belgian food and it reminded us a lot of German food (not in a good way). :laughing: Heavy on the meats and potatoes. I actually had far better and more memorable German meals than I had memorable Belgian meals. For fun, I would have said visit Viva M’Bomba (known for their offal) in Brussels, but alas they closed due to COVID. Beautiful city though to visit!

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say we love restaurants but we do have plans to visit those two!
In Brussels there will be a "special guided culinary walking tour where you can taste local flavors. …beer parlors, typical cafes, waffle shops, chocolate making studios, delicatessen and more! :grin:

2 Likes

Ooops! I meant "I wouldn’t say we love museums. Restaurants on the mind. We love reestaurants! …Just not the same menus.

1 Like

Our two favorite restaurants in Paris are Alliance and Montée. Both have Japanese chefs. Both are highly recommended.

1 Like

Last night

Today, we are at Le Nemours, after the Louvre.

7 Likes

We did that one!

9 Likes

Tonight was
Brasserie du Louvre
All good!
French Onion soup, salade lyonnaise, filet and roasted potatoes, Poulet de Bresse, that chef who judged on “Top Chef ?” ( ha ha!)

8 Likes

Reservation tonight, but only two of us going.

Ceviche ( octopus, shrimp, sea bream, avacado). Also mango, which I really enjoyed.

Butternut squash soup. Husband says “nutty, not too sweet, smooth. Very good.”

Also, we enjoyed our walking tour of St Germain, not just food, and didn’t really notice the closures.

Not in order.

7 Likes

For mains husband had beef bourg. “Wonderful”

I had a filet, both with potatoes dauphine…I think. Okay; crispy potato slices.

9 Likes

Nice pics. Thanks. You’re not doing badly at all! Continue, please,

2 Likes

I see a theme developing.

Was the chocolate shop Debauve & Gallais ?

1 Like

Maybe :thinking:… What is the theme?

ETA

I don’t remember the name, but here is a picture. Perhaps we were in the Latin Quarter by then.

Yes; that’s the place! I remember this part.

We were in Versailles this morning and wanted to use a bathroom with no line. Our guide told us to point at things, hold our heads up, and look at things with disdain! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

ETA To his credit, he didn’t use the word disdain, but something similar.

2 Likes

La Rotonde ( St. Honore) for lunch. I see Rotonde Montparnasse gets several mentions on HO. I think we went there in 2016.

We had limited options at 1:30, after Versailles, and this was pleasant surprise!

Oops! Started eating before pictures!.
Husband had roast beef sandwich with roasted potatoes.

Daughter had penne with tomato sauce and burrata

I had a zucchini and ricotta quiche with a salad with lentils

A market on the way back!

3 Likes

Such great pics! Thank you for sharing. I love the ceiling of the restaurant in the first set of photos you shared. I’m getting hungry looking at your pictures.

2 Likes

I second @kobuta! Really excellent tour of your trip! I don’t know how you kept up with all of that as you traveled. I’m in awe!

1 Like

Merci and Bon jour! After a brief recovery from an emergency evacuation of De Gaulle airport, we are heading back to California. Wish me bon voyage!

11 Likes

Oops! As we proceeded I was trying to clarify tipping vs service. This often escaped us, but i don’t think anyones feelings were hurt.

2 Likes

So, now that you are back, what memories of your trip shine the brightest? Which are already a faint blur? Not just Paris and not just the food but everything.

3 Likes

Thank you for asking! Seriously.

I need to think about this more, but every time someone asked where we were from, we said California, New York, and Turkey, and acknowledged this was our chance for our family to be together. That was the best part.

10 Likes