Paris and Biarritz summer

Many, many thanks for the excellent photos and reviews.

I have a similar opinion of David Toutain. It’s an expense-account restaurant for me, some great dishes but also misses, a rather earnest-- and for me-- off-putting vibe, and, all in all, just not worth it especially with an abundance of better-value alternatives in Paris.

Willette is a neighbourhood gem. It’s off the beaten track for most tourists and so is a more “pure” respesentation of the Parisian lifestyle and the sort of good-value, good food, good wine, joyful resto that locals prefer.

And thank you for bringing our attention to new-ish Francette. A resto with good food, good prices and so close to one the world’s most iconic tourist attractions is rare indeed. I have not been but I do know and greatly enjoy the very new Fuga Riviera, a similar barge restaurant-bar (but very different menu) moored in the Seine near the Pont Alexandre III, and same owners as Francette.

1 Like

Thanks very much for reporting back! The market fare looked great, but the thing off of all you wrote that I am looking forward to trying is the kebab at Ozlem! You had a baby in tow, yes? Memories for a lifetime! Thanks again.

1 Like

Yes ozlem was top notch. Tbh I think I enjoy the small casual places the most kind of like the the taco stands we have in LA.

Also Urfa durum is on that level too! Urfa has a better smoky flavor to their meats not sure if the coals are stronger or what but the overall kebab sandwich is better at ozlem imo. If you’re in the area get both!

1 Like

Perusing the carte for Francette, it’s clear Parn will be heading their soon this summer for the Boeuf Bourguignon… :smirk:

Yes, super photos and commentary, HHH. Thank you!

We also had similar experiences as you and Parn mention at David Toutain.

Hey, Onz, do you remember Willette back in July 2019, when the four of us had dinner on the terrace?

1 Like

I’m embarrassed to say that I don’t, and looking at the website doesn’t raise any memories, but I see it is on my calendar for July 1, 2019.

I didn’t remember it either until I did a search on my laptop for Willette, which I vaguely remembered when I read about it on this post. It was rather a mixed meal as my notes indicate.

Darn it i I had know that both of you had so so experiences I would’ve gone somewhere else! Oh well always next time.

I do now remember – we ate outside, so that’s why I didn’t recognize the pictures of the inside, and the street was dug up, so one never really got the view of the front that the website photos show. Yes, a mixed meal, certainly nothing special that you can’t find easily all over Paris.

"Perusing the carte for Francette, it’s clear Parn will be heading their soon this summer for the Boeuf Bourguignon… :smirk: "

You are wicked, @andygottlieb42 , wicked ! :smiling_face: My next once-every-11-years dose of boeuf bourguignon is not scheduled until 2027. Or is it 2028 ? Mercifully, in winter. My religion bans masochism such as, for instance, the eating of boeuf bourguignon in hot weather and the consumption of French onion soup as part of a meal.

3 Likes