Paris and biarritz recs

Sorry, late to the party. Just to add my 2 cents re Paris:

If you are using a stroller, taking the métro can be huge hassle because of all the stairs and risks of being targeted by pickpockets, and you will be much better off relying on buses. For this reason, I’d choose Vavin/ Montparnasse because it is so easy to get to the major tourist attractions in other parts of Paris by bus from here. The boulevard Montparnasse also has a few continuous-hours chain family restaurants (i.e. Chez Papa, Léon, Hippopotamus) in case the usual parisian eating time of 7:30 or 8 to 9:30 or 10pm is too late for you… not the best quality food, mostly assembly-line trad but good enough when you have a 2-year in tow. And, in my experience, certainly better than the equivalents in the USA.

Vavin/ Montpatnasse also has some excellent epicurean adult restaurants. Not sure of the welcome you’d get with a 2-year old though. We Parisians don’t take kids to such restaurants until much older and, in any case, few if any are set up to deal with young children. Except for the family chains, certainly no hi-chairs and sometimes hardly any room for a stroller in our typically very small and tightly packed restos.

Resto recommendations to follow depending on where you find a place to stay.

1 Like

Re Biarritz/ Pays Basque

In Biarritz, if you are planning for a day on the beach, get a schedule of tides. The Bay of Biscay is notorious and what seems like a fab sandy beach when the tide is low will become underwater at high tide. For this reason, there are few beach restaurants and private beaches so common on the much less changeable Med.

I for one like the Plage de Chambre d’Amour just north of the Phare (lighthouse) in the neighbouring town of Anglet (parking in mid-July will be a huge problem during the day but there is the #38 from the Mairie de Biarritz to the Chambre d’Amour stop in Anglet). Since the rent is cheaper than beachfront Biarritz, the restos on the promenade above the beach are better than the high-turnover lowest-common-denominator restos near the beaches in Biarritz. I especially like Lieu de Pêcheurs oyster/seafood restaurant… it’s also a great place for a sunset dinner but rezzies necessary to get a table on the terrace or rooftop (BTW, sunset in mid-July will be around 9:45pm). For 2yr olds, there is also a crêperie (Le Reef Anglet) just north on the same promenade as well as an excellent artisanal ice cream shop (Txomin). http://www.lelieuanglet.fr/ No websites (yet) for Le Reef Anglet and Txomin.

In Biarritz last year, I followed lefooding.com’s tip about Carøe fish resto on rue Gambetti and was very glad I did. The Scandi-Basque fusion fits Biarritz’s cosmopolitan flavour, the small-plates cuisine is delicious and, important for easily bored moi, unusual. But only open for dinner and reservations are essential. There were a few holidaying French families with younger kids at the outside tables but, since French kids usually eat what their parents eat from a very early age, nothing on the menu that most foreigners would consider suitable for very young kids. https://www.caroe.fr/

BTW, the lefooding.com is the hip French food bible. If you are looking for cutesy trad restaurants, this is not lefooding’s focus but is essential for the French food scene outside of the deeply rutted tourist trail. En tout cas, have a look. There is an English language tab at the bottom of the page. To use the search function, hit the restaurant tab and then fill in the city (exact French spelling) or the Paris arrondissement i.e. 75006 and verify on the pull down tab. https://lefooding.com/

Biarritz has a certain glamour left over from its legacy as the ritziest beach resort in Europe in the 19th and early 20th centuries… somewhat incongruously it now also has a huge cluster of camping sites for budget-conscious Europeans. For a more folklorique and less rarified version of the Pays Basque, I’m a big fan of Saint-Jean-de-Luz/ Ciboure. As the 5th largest fishing port in France, it’s also a working town not totally dedicated to tourism and has a certain lived-in flavour. Even though I can be a bit of a beach bum and spend a lot of time on the Grande Plage (protected by sea walls and less tidal than Biarritz) , my favourite place is Les Halles/ covered food market + about 70 stands outside. Mornings only, great selection of local products, very convivial (at least in French), a great sample of the French and Basque food culture. If I’m still hungry after sampling stuff in the market, I usually have a late lunch on the terrace at Kako (trad Basque cuisine) just across from Les Halles or walk less than 150 metres to the far less folklorique and more trendy Komptoir des Amis. For an expensive special occasion meal, Michelin-starred Kaiku is excellent but expensive, very gastro and creative Basque-French cuisine, tasting menu format. https://www.saintjeandeluz.fr/fr/a-voir-a-faire/halles/ and http://www.restaurant-kako-saintjeandeluz.com/ and http://www.lekomptoirdesamis.com/ and https://www.kaiku.fr/

Whenever in the Pays Basque, I have a little ritual of driving 30-40 minutes into the interior to lunch-only Restaurant Urtxola near Sare on an old smugglers road to Zugarramurdi Spain. Parking lot in France, restaurant in Spain, very authentic and very trad Basque cuisine, lovely terrace, usually a very interesting clientele, delightful service. And the drive is very picturesque, past old Roman bridges and through impossibly pretty Basque villages and hamlets. “Basqueness” is mostly diluted by mass tourism along the coast of both France and Spain but, inland, it’s alive and well.

I’m an outlier on San Sebastian and consider it vastly overhyped. Especially in the last fortnight of July and most of August when it becomes slammed, uncomfortably so and almost theme-park-ish, with tourists. I much prefer it off-season. In the last fortnight of July, it’s not a matter of what are the best restos and tapas bars but of which have room for you. I should add that I have only been to San Sebastian once in high-season and my experience could have been just a matter of bad luck.

3 Likes

Thanks for the knowledge these two posts are highly appreciated!

I have also gotten le fooding recommended from another person and will check it out!

Would it be safe to say that most restaurants that don’t require a reservation would be ok with a 2 year old in Paris? Or is it culturally inappropriate to bring a child that age to most sit down restaurants?

We will definitely check out les Halles market in st Jean de luz and urxtola when we go visit sare.

In your opinion is Biarritz worth staying in for a couple of days as a first time visitor or would it be better to stay in anglet/st Jean de luz and just do a day trip around bastille day time frame in July?

We understand that SS will be overrun with tourists like ourselves but we’ll have to brave the crowds! Is eating early usually the best bet to avoid crowds?

St. Jean de Luz is awesome. Don’t miss the fresh sardines.

1 Like

Thanks we are definitely planning a trip there!

“Would it be safe to say that most restaurants that don’t require a reservation would be ok with a 2 year old in Paris?” Reservations are needed at almost all good-quality restaurants and bistros. It’s a huge rookie mistake to wander around Paris hoping to find a good meal at some cutesy bistro that you like the look of. The good places will be completely booked, the bad (by Paris standards) will have tables for naïve tourists. Of course, some tourists, used to Olive Garden back home, will probably consider even mediocre French food to be quite good.

There are no hard and fast rules but, judging from my own family and friends with kids, small children of that age are almost never brought to good restaurants in Paris. It’s different when on holiday in, say, the south of France. And the logistics often make it impossible for kids to be a part of the equation. By American standards, most Paris restaurants are tiny and cramped. Impossible to insulate the rest of the diners from the unpredictable behaviour/ noise levels of a 2-year old. (I should add that the #1 complaint about American tourists in Paris is that they are too loud and, in a restaurant, easily exceed the noise levels that most Parisians would consider to be polite.) I do occasionally see small kids with parents at restaurants but almost always on the outside terrace where they have to share time and space with smokers. Which has its own problems and cultural differences: I once witnessed a huge fracas on the terrace of a landmark café between an American couple with toddler and the smokers at surrounding tables. Rants (in English) about second-hand smoke condemning her child to death by cancer or heart disease from the mother and bemused but increasingly angry reactions (in French and Franglais) from the smokers. A clash of entitlements. In the end the Americans were asked to leave by the waiter. Which led to a predictable anti-French tirade on the way out.

I have the impression that French parents are less rigid about routines and it is not unusual to see children, even toddlers and infants, out and about with parents at all hours. In contrast, I see American parents with children insisting on eating meals (in empty restaurants) at 6pm because that’s the time the children usually have dinner. If you stick to your routines back home, your choices and eating options in Paris will be very limited. The vast majority of restaurants don’t open until 7 or 7:30 and the vast majority of Parisians don’t go out for a dinner until 8pm (and later at weekends).

Your best bets for child-appropriate places because they are considerably larger than bistros and restaurants and most have continuous hours (from, say, 8am to midnight) are traditional brasseries and family chain restaurants, especially those with lots of outside seating. Unfortunately, most aren’t exactly famous for the quality of the cuisine. Bottom of the quality ladder are the no-reservation Chartier group of cheap brasseries/ “bouillons” (Bouillon Chartier Grands Boulevards in the 9th, Bouillon Chartier Montparnasse, Bouillon Chartier Gare de l’Est in the 10th). Yet, often tourist favourites and tourist guide top picks because of their polished and re-polished olde-worlde décor. Perhaps a fine touristic experience if you don’t mind crappy food but hardly an authentic parisian experience in a city justly famous for the quality of its cuisine.

With a very few exceptions, the continuous-hours brasseries and family chain restos are not destination restaurants. And, so, final recommendations will be determined by exactly where you are staying and which brasseries/ family restos are convenient. In the meantime, have a look at La Rotonde Montparnasse for an example of a much better-than-average example of a parisian brasserie, and kid-friendly Huguette seafood bistro in St-Germain-des-Pres, and the rather hip Brasserie Martin near Square Gardette in the 11th to see if the menu, style, and the prices match your own tastes and budget. https://larotonde-montparnasse.fr/ and https://www.huguette-bistro.com/ and https://nouvellegardegroupe.com/brasserie-martin/infos-reservations/

Another suggestion when with kids. The French and especially parisian food culture features neighbourhood outdoor food markets and covered food markets. Lots of opportunities for “déjeuner sur le pouce »/ lunch on the go. The most foodie with 8 or 9 mini-restos and deli-like food stands is the Marché des Enfants Rouges on rue Bretagne in the very trendy Haut Marais in the upper 3rd (a very different world than the ultra-touristy Marais in the 4th and lower 3rd)… some counter seating and tables here and there, and a lovely park (Square du Temple) for picnics just a few minutes away.

Re Biarritz vs St-Jean-de-Luz. Impossible for me to answer. I love the faded “glamour” (pronounced in the French way) of Biarritz , it’s a larger city with more to do, great for surfing, and, if you decide to leave the car at home, excellent rail and bus links to the surrounding area. St Jean-de-Luz has more of a cutesy factor, a great beach just minutes from the town, punches above its weight in terms of restaurants, but a little more inconvenient for getting around the Pays Basque, more difficult parking (always a huge factor along the coast of the Pays Basque after 15 July).

Both put on very good firework shows for 14 Juillet. Each has a usually (not always, depending on the band) very enjoyable “bal populaire” before and after the fireworks.

I suspect that Biarritz with its many more possibilities could be more enjoyable with a 2-year old in tow.
But, in the end, eeny miney miney moe is probably the best way to decide.

In Spain, “early” is before 10pm. I usually adjust to a Spanish rhythm when in Spain and have an early evening siesta. So, I just have no experience of early eating in San Sebastian. Because it attracts so many early-eating Germans, Scandinavians, Brits, Poles, etc in the summer, I do suspect that San Sebastian will run on a different non-Spanish schedule and you could have a lot of competition if you want to eat early.

Whew ! Sorry, I talk too much. Evil grin.

3 Likes

This is a super informative post thank you for all the information!

Thankfully for us we will be bringing childcare along so we will be able to enjoy meals alone but just wanted to get a general understanding and lay of the land in terms of family friendliness since I haven’t been to Paris since I was in my early 20s.

We have le marche beauveau, San Quentin, and enfant rouge that you recommended in another thread bookmarked.

Probably will be doing boulangeries, pastisseries, and cafes for breakfast. Any recs on those or areas that contain many of good quality that are adjacent? We plan on doing a lot of casual eating/picnincing etc not just star based dining to get a more rounded experience of Parisian food/life.

We are going to be doing Biarritz due to the availability of places to book and hopefully we’ll be able to spend a good amount of time in st jean de luz. The concert and the fire works sound exciting even though I’m sure it will be insanely busy.

Just one small correction. A “bal populaire” is not a concert. It’s a street party/ dance party in larger towns or village “fête” in smaller ones, usually free, usually with some local band (usually trad, often with accordions, occasionally oompah). In Paris, usually organized by various fire brigades in front of the fire station or a nearby square. A very traditional part of 14 Juillet celebrations.

1 Like

Ah thanks for that clarification. That actually sounds even more fun, is it usually at a specific location that is advertised to the public or is it more spontaneous/roving around the city?

I booked granite for dinner.

Between septime, servan, maison, and les enfant rouges. Is there one that is superior? Or another restaurant that reflects the new age bistronomy movement?

Any recs are appreciated!

We’ve enjoyed Le Servan over the years. Two sisters, one the chef and the other the sommelier, started the restaurant and they combine southeastern Asia flavors and french cuisine. Some of it is spicy which, as Californians, we appreciate. Haven’t been to Les Enfants Rouge in 5 or 6 years but always enjoyed it. Need to go back!

1 Like

Also really liked Les Enfants du Marche which is a restaurant inside the market. Casual counter seating but really good food featuring natural wines and lots of seafood. Also has a Japanese chef who opened it up around 2018.

1 Like

Thanks for the thoughts!

Is enfant rouges de marche the same restaurant of as enfant rouges? Or are they separate restaurants? Are they both run by Daï Shinozuka?

Separate places. One is on a street around the corner from the market and the other one is inside the market. Chef’s name is Masahide Ikuta. You can’t reserve there so when we went we got there early ish and didn’t have trouble getting seats. I’ve only reserved at Les Enfants Rouge.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification was a bit confusing for me!

I’m confused by “new age bistronomie”. Others may have different definitions but, to me, bistronomie is just updated/ modernized, lightened, very seasonal, market-driven trad cuisine with frequently changing menus. There is certainly creativity and adaptation but the very French origins and evolution are clear. Not really “new age”.

Catering to a largely foreign clientele, Septime serves rather safe modern, often bistronomique cuisine. Nothing cutting edge or eye opening… and so very similar to many other Michelin 1-stars that I am not sure why it should stand out. As I said in another thread it’s probably fine as an American-in-Paris touristic experience but a place that just doesn’t match my own particular preferences/style as a Parisian.

For very creative, very modern but not easily categorized as “French”, David Toutain is probably your best bet. Or even the once wildly-acclaimed cutting-edge restaurant of the last decade, Le Chateaubriand.

I for one much prefer under-the-radar more parisian, modern and/or bistronomique and/or “transgenres” restaurants like ChoCho, Nhome, Source, Perception, Origines, Ilo, and dozens of others. And I’m a sucker for good value… and a non-old-farty vibe.

Only been to Maison once and was a little disappointed. As for Servan and Les Enfants Rouges, flip a coin. Who knows which will be more to your liking on the day you go ?

2 Likes

I guess I was referring to the new type of restaurants that are popular on le fooding. Meaning young chefs that are producing highly interesting, cross cultural, and less stuffy french cuisine in a more casual atmosphere. They typically seem generally to be disciples of famous bistronomy chefs.

Does granite compare to david toutain? We have a reservation for granite.

I have chocho bookmarked and plan on checking it out we are staying near bonne nouvelle metro.

You also recommended the following in another thread “ Flocon in the 5th, Le Goncourt in the 11th, Le Grand Bain in Belleville/ 20th, Pétrelle in the 9th, Les Enfants Rouge (not to be confused with the covered market of the same name) on rue Beauce/ 3rd, Le Chardenoux in the 11th, Amarante in the 12th, Jones in the 11th, Dilia (modern Italian with French twists) in Ménilmontant/ 20th, Café Campagnon in the 2nd, Café du Coin in the 11th, Le Mary Celeste in the trendy upper 3rd, Racines (updated/ creative Sardinian/ Italian) in the Passage des Panoramas in the 2nd, La Halle aux Grains in the 1st. “

Any of them you would specifically recommend as can’t miss? Or near where we are staying? We love local restaurants that are tasty, different, and memorable not necessarily star chasing. Thanks!

I just ran across this description of the place I really like inside the market-Les Enfants du Marche. Looks like there is a new chef, but still sounds delicious.
[

Les Enfants du Marché

](https://www.cntraveler.com/restaurants/paris/les-enfants-du-marche)

$$

This is a stools-only, silverware-in-buckets, blackboard-menu kind of joint serving seasonal small plates out of an open-kitchen vendor stand inside Paris’s oldest covered market, Marché des Enfants Rouge. But what it lacks in deco refinement, it more than makes up for it on the plate. Owner Michael Grosman and chef Shunta Susuki offer variations on dishes including a ceviche, a soup of the moment, and a few other “regulars” such as oysters and a selection of finely sliced charcuterie. Expect heartier fare, too, like crispy fish croquettes with a red pepper dipping sauce, grilled octopus smothered in chimichurri, and a perfectly pink skirt steak served with creamy mashed potatoes and greens. In general, the prices are high for the setting, but that’s part of the appeal: high-class, neo-bistro cuisine in a rough-and-tumble joint.

3 Likes

The article forgets to say, or perhaps the reviewer doesn’t know, how uncomfortably crowded the Marché des Enfants Rouges and Les Enfants du Marché stall/ mini-resto can be at weekends. Weekdays are much more pleasant. Except Monday when the market is closed.

I for one like to compare and contrast all the other deli-type stalls and mini-restos before I choose where and what to eat at the Marché des Enfants Rouges. Because it is so bloody expensive, Les Enfants du Marché is only a very occasional choice.

1 Like

Definitely plan on exploring the market broadly and also visiting les enfants du marche

Thanks for the tip to visit on weekdays @ParnParis

1 Like