[Paris 9] Petrelle

Sorry to hijack this, but with my own stay in Paris coming up, I keep pondering Petrelle. I’m traveling solo this time, and while Petrelle is frequently recommended, it’s also been repeatedly described as romantic. Would I be out of place as a solo diner or should I put this off until a trip that includes my husband?

1 Like

Start a new thread about Petrel, it’s not that hard.

Goodness. You could have suggested that more politely. This thread had already evolved from the initial post.

5 Likes

Honestly, posts evolve here all the time, getting into debates about things, etc. I was replying to onz because he had posted reviews about a number of places that sounded great and was trying to select a few. I plan on posting when I return from my December trip.

As far as Petrelle, I went with my daughter so she and I, as mother and daughter, were hardly a romantic pair. A candlelight dinner though may be a very different experience from our weekend lunch.

Thanks, kj. I’d note that I only asked about Petrelle here because you had mentioned it (and had observed that threads often evolve and diverge). In any event, I suspect that it might a better lunch option for the reason you mention. I do look forward to an evening meal here with my husband.

Enjoy your next stay in Paris.

1 Like

Don’t put it off. Petrelle is wonderful and the staff is very kind.

Thanks Katydid. And, I would definitely feel comfortable going to Petrelle solo and feel they would warmly welcome you.

Hi @Katydid, I have not been to Petrelle, but wanted to say that I am often (mostly?) in Paris solo, and have never had a negative experience dining solo there. Many years ago, when “Hungry for Paris” first came out, I had read Alexander Lobrano’s essay on eating solo in Paris and was convinced never to feel awkward doing so. To me, eating in a wonderful restaurant in Paris includes the service, and I have always felt the service there to be a treat. Sometimes just “correct,” and often enough a special experience. If the restaurant makes reservations for one, and is appealing to you, I would say that you might enjoy it especially.

Thanks for your perspective and encouragement, ninkat. I’ve travelled solo to Paris several times, although admittedly not since 2007 before I married. I agree that solo dining in Paris is a pleasure. I love watching the hum of a lively restaurant and savoring the experience. And I think my concern about Petrelle is maybe less about romance and more whether it might seem sedate (because perhaps I associate romance with a bit of a hushed atmosphere).

I’m probably overthinking it!!! I’ve edited my list over and over again and I’m driving myself a bit mad. I only have a week on this trip unfortunately….

It’s been years, but I don’t remember anyone making out at the tables, and the food was great, ambience I seem to remember as relaxing/sweet/wrinkle-smoothing. Go for it!

I don’t think you would feel out of place there. It’s not like there are lovers all around you swooning over each other.

Lol. No, I wasn’t expecting anything overt, just wondered if it was the wrong vibe for a solo traveler. Thanks for all the assurances that it will be fine. Now to snag a reservation….

We had lunch at Pétrelle today – a wonderful experience as always.

3 Likes