[Paris 2e] Itacoa - Brazilian Masterchef pro winner

Rafael Gomes was trained in Gramercy Tavern, Eleven Madison Park in New York before landing in France 4 years ago, working under 3 stars French Michelin chef, the Argentinian Mauro Colagreco, Mirazur, Menton. Last year, Gomes opened his own restaurant in Paris, after winning his title of Master Chef 2018.

Meal was back in January, a week-day lunch. It was a very small restaurant situated in rue Saint Denis. Saw traces of Yellow Vest movement on the broken glass vitrine, secured with wood. Ordered from à la carte.

A juice menu

Pão de queijo - simply delicious

Casquinha - farce of pollack, shrimps, crab with a coconut sauce

Tapiowich - Blini with trout, yogurt, aneth, mint, cucumber, feta, pickles

A glass of Vinho Verde from Gazela, Portugal, a refreshing light and fruity sparkling white wine, a good match with seafood and fish. A Noisette to finish off the meal.

Chef Gomes with clients.

The open kitchen

No dessert as the Pão de queijo was quite filling. Good products, a bit surprised by the blini of the main course, which was Greek. The meal on the whole was simple but good. I had a talk with the waitress after the meal, she told me they had a lot of Brazilian clients and since the kitchen was very small, only 2-3 persons could work at the same time there, the chef could not stay in the kitchen. I saw he was always chatting with somebody in Portuguese in the room. I told her that I was expecting more Brazilian influences in the menu and didn’t understand the Greek part, as I saw Greek olive oil on the table, Greek dessert etc. She explained the Greek part was a partnership with a Greek supplier. She told me that I should try the more Brazilian lunch menu next time. They were also famous for the Sunday brunch.

Meal was 41€, cheese bread (7€), 2 courses, a glass of wine and a coffee. I found it on the expensive side since I had no dessert. Maybe will come back to try the cheaper fixed price menu.

Itacoa
185 rue Saint-Denis,
75002 Paris
www.itacoa.paris

3 Likes